Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Assigning permissions to remote users

Hi,

I hope you can help me.

I have one PC running XP Pro (minus SP2) and two laptops again with XP Pro (plus SP 2).

Ok, they can all see each other within the workgroup and can access each others shared folders.

But how do I assign permissions for remote users on each machine? When I right click a folder
Select PROPERIES
Then the SECURITY tab
Select ADD
Then LOCATION none of the other computers are available, just the local one.

I also cannot manage users or groups on a remote computer using the Computer Management Console.
When I try to access the sp2 laptops there's a massive red X on Local Users and Groups, and the error message 'Unable to access the computer ???. The error was: Access is denied.'
When I try to access the PC which doesn't have SP2 I can open the User and Group folders but theres nothing in them.

Any help would really be appreciated
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assigning permissions to remote users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assigning permissions to remote users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP doesn't do that.

In reply to: Assigning permissions to remote users

"cannot manage users or groups on a remote computer using the Computer Management Console."

You must be thinking about capabilities when you have a "Domain" or server for such.

Bob

Collapse -
A sort of work around

In reply to: Assigning permissions to remote users

Bob's right, in that this is one of the primary functions of a domain server, but there is a sort of work around for it. It's really only workable for 2-3 users/systems, after which it will quickly become more work than it's worth.

You have to create a local user account for every user, of every machine, on each machine. Then go to each machine, and set individual permissions for each of those accounts on the shared directories. As you can plainly see, the effort required to maintain this will grow exponentially with every new user/system.

Another approach would be to create a new user group, and then apply all the permission settings to that group. Once you make the individual user accounts, if you make them a member of this group, the permissions for that group will automatically apply. This is still a lot of work however, so it's probably better to focus on an entirely different way of sharing files.

If you used FTP instead of SMB (Windows file sharing), it would be much easier to set directory permissions for every user. The biggest drawback, is FTP is a client-server system, and SMB is peer to peer. The way FTP would work best, is if you had a fourth system which served as a central repository for files. Otherwise, you have to run a FTP server on each system, and you don't gain a whole lot, effort wise, over SMB.

There are other distributed file systems like NFS and AFS to consider. As I recall, NFS offers no security, but is very quick and easy to set up. AFS offers quite a bit of security, but is not the easiest to get going on Windows.

You could also attempt to set up your own Linux and SAMBA based domain server, but unless you're very familiar with the Unix AND Windows way of networking, and think you would be able to mesh them together, I wouldn't attempt it.

The long and short of it is, Windows was never designed with networking in mind, and all the networking features were just sort of bolted on later. Hence the limitations you're running into.

Best thing I could recommend is a Network Area Storage (NAS) device. They cost anywhere from $50-100 at most electronics and office supply stores. They're simply little devices that let you connect and use external hard drives over your LAN. Much more energy efficient than a 5th computer doing the same thing.

Collapse -
Assigning permissions to remote users

In reply to: A sort of work around

Thanks guys,
you saved me alot of time trying to work out how to do something that was impossible.

Much appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.