Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Assigning Passwords To Folders In ME

by tvdasan / June 22, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

Can anyone explain the proceedure to block access to certain folders in Windows ME with passwords? I've tried following the the help files included with ME but they ask me to click on tabs that don't exist: for example the help files say to click on the 'sharing' tab after clicking file, then properties. There is no such 'sharing' tab on any of the dialog boxes that come up on my computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assigning Passwords To Folders In ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assigning Passwords To Folders In ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such only occurs ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

Across network shares. The DOS based Windows do not have such a feature and I never suggest that people add it because of the many times people forget the password or when they move to another OS and the folderlock software fails to make the migration.

Collapse -
Password Protectecting Folders
by tvdasan / June 23, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Such only occurs ...

Dear Mr.Proffit,

thanks for taking the time to comment on my question. However, I am still at a loss to know how to keep prying eyes away from some sensitive data I have on my computer. My computer is sometimes used by others, and I would like to feel confident that I can hide or otherwise block access to these files. Any suggestions?

R Perry

Collapse -
2 methods.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

1. Use a BIOS PASSWORD to keep people off the machine.

2. Put the data on an USB memory key or CDRW.

This OS is not a secure OS. And the folderlock software has resulted in posts here pleading for help how to recover it. It is possible for a price (see ) so be prepared to pay up if you forget your folderlock password.

If you moved to Windows XP, then some security is there, but I can share I've booted the KNOPPIX CD and shocked some IT staffers by browsing to and opening documents they claimed I should not be able to open.

Best bet? Keep such off the machine.

Collapse -
Re: 2 methods
by tvdasan / June 24, 2005 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 methods.

Dear R Proffitt,

Thanks for your help and advice. I think transferring the data to a USB memory key is the way to go. Thanks again!

tv das

Collapse -
Putting p/w's on files like m/s word
by dangercat / June 26, 2005 10:49 AM PDT

This might not be what you are looking for but here goes:

Open up "My Documents", then go File > New > Compressed Folder, make one of those, then drag whatever files in there you want, it puts a copy in there AND leaves the original also, so i think it is ok to delete that, then you go to "Encrypt..." put in a p/w, then when you want to open up that file, you need to enter the p/w

It works ok with m/s word, you can do it with say music or videos, but it will take ages to do

Try it and see

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?