Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Assembling external SuperDrive and enclosure

by jennywren1420 / March 27, 2008 6:54 AM PDT

Dear friends,

I have just received a Firewire enclosure for a SuperDrive I bought months ago from the same company, Other World Computing. I was told that they would work together, but now that I'm assembling it, I find that the tiny holes on the drive (very near the edge of the drive, and only two on each side of the top, not the many more that the enclosure seems to indicate should be there. In addition, the holes in the drive and the ones in the enclosure don't match up. The enclosure also is very long for the drive, even allowing for room to attach the ribbon cable and other cables inside.

I have now spoken with three different people at OWC, and nobody knows why this is or how to work out the problem, except to offer me another, less desirable enclosure that they assure me will fit the drive. (I didn't mention that the drive is an older model and that they no longer carry it.) Well, I was assured that the one they have already sent me was just fine for my drive, so you can 't blame me for being a bit wary of the assurances for the other enclosure.

The drive fits very snugly in the enclosure and doesn't seem to shift around. If I replaced a metal piece around the front of the drive that I took off to make it fit more flush with the front of the enclosure, it would be an even tighter fit. It wouldn't look as nice, but it could be done.

My question is I whether I can dispense with putting in those screws, which are meant to secure the drive within the case and keep it from shifting around. (The screws meant to attach the back panel of the enclosure, the one with the internal cables, and the holes in the enclosure will fit together fine, because they are both part of the same thing.)

I would really love to move on with this and not try out anything else?let alone a less good drive?if I can. I wonder what you think.

I have only a short while before I must make a decision, and I'm leaving for a visit to part of my family in about two weeks. Any input is very welcome.

Thanks,

jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assembling external SuperDrive and enclosure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assembling external SuperDrive and enclosure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That enclosure
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:44 AM PDT

If the drive fits in there snugly, dispense with attempting to put the screws back in.

Just remember not to carry the enclosure around with the nose pointing down. Happy

If it is to spend its life sitting on a desk, it will be fine and will function as designed without the screws.

I still think they sent you the wrong thing, the DVD drive, in the first place.

Good luck

P

Collapse -
I agree and thanks
by jennywren1420 / March 29, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: That enclosure

I am inclined to agree with you on both counts?that the drive will be quite safe, so long as I am careful and that it was the wrong drive in the first place. It would appear that OWC is great for anyone who knows exactly what she or he wants, but try to go there fully prepared

Many thanks again, oh, wise one,

Jenny

Collapse -
You're welcome,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree and thanks

let us know how you get on.

Hi to Mumsie

P

Collapse -
fine so far
by jennywren1420 / March 30, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome,

I haven't used the drive yet, but when I turned it on, the drive sounded as though it was spinning like mad, even though there was no cd or dvd in it. (Please forgive the crazy lack of capitals. for some reason the shift on the righthand side of my G3 Powerbook isn't working.) Attaching the cables inside the enclosure was really hard, because, as I wrote in the first message of this thread, the enclosure's very deep for the drive, so it took some delicate reaching in with my fingertips in order to align the plugs. still, it's done now, and I have every reason to suppose that all systems are "go."

Nice of you to remember my mother in your good wishes, although you've never met her. she had had a hard week.

Jenny

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.