Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Assault Weapon Ban

by Dan McC / September 15, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

I'm shocked that the ban didn't get renewed whith this kind of pressure coming from the White House.

From my email:

On Wednesday, reporters asked President Bush's spokesman, Scott McClellan, what the White House was doing to renew the Assault Weapons Ban. Here's the text of the discussion:

Q: The assault weapons ban expires in just a few days. Can you list for us the many things the President might be doing to encourage Congress to send him the bill that he said he would sign?

MR. McCLELLAN: The President's views have been made very clear, and the best way we can reduce crimes committed with guns is to strictly enforce our laws. And prosecutions under this administration are up. I think it's -- well, it's more than 60 percent -- I think 68 percent over the previous administration. That's the best way to crack down on crimes committed with guns. That's an important issue here in terms of the assault weapons ban. He's made his views very well-known.

Q: And his view is he'll sign it if --

MR. McCLELLAN: He's made his views known as recently as this week.

Q: His view is he'll sign it if it comes to him. Is he doing anything to make sure he --

MR. McCLELLAN: The President supports the reauthorization of current law.

Q: What is he doing to actively make sure is he doing anything to make sure he --

MR. McCLELLAN: The President doesn't set the congressional timetable.

Q: No, but he can lobby for it.

MR. McCLELLAN: Congress sets the timetable. And the President's views are very clear.

Q: Has he made any calls or anything to encourage this to happen?

MR. McCLELLAN: What we've continued to do -- because this issue does go to the issue of crimes committed with guns, as well -- and what we've continued to do is step up our efforts to prosecute crimes committed with guns and strictly enforce our laws. And that's the best way we can deter violence committed with guns.

Q: But he did something this week?

Q: But he's not doing anything to make sure this doesn't lapse on the 13th?

MR. McCLELLAN: We'll continue to make our views known.

Q: You said he had done something this week.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I said we've continued to make our views known. This week, as well.

Q: To who?

MR. McCLELLAN: Publicly.

Q: Did he speak about it publicly?

MR. McCLELLAN: We have, the White House has.

*sigh*

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assault Weapon Ban
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assault Weapon Ban
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did ANYONE in Congress try?
by Roger NC / September 15, 2004 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Assault Weapon Ban
Collapse -
Re: Did ANYONE in Congress try? The Dem's did
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 15, 2004 1:58 PM PDT

Hi, Roger.

Senator Feinstein, for one. The (Republican) leadership bottled it up in both houses. The police unions are furious, and some have even endorsed Kerry because of it.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by Roger NC / September 15, 2004 10:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Evie / September 15, 2004 10:20 PM PDT

Hi Roger,

Mark has hit the "nail on the head" here. Gun control has been a losing issue for the Democrats to campaign on. There are too many Democrats -- Senators more specifically, Daschle their leader in particular -- that are facing tough re-election campaigns, and offered lackluster support at best.

Kerry is being his usual hypocritical self to slam the President for not doing enough, when we are supposed to believe that Kerry more strongly supported the ban, was in a position to do something, yet did NOTHING. If this was such a popular issue, he could have shown up for work and rallied his fellow Democrats to pressure action on this. He could have made it a focus of his campaign since it is so important -- particularly if he really believes his rhetoric about the ban protecting against terrorism. Leadership?? He, not Bush, is currently a Senator, a position he has declined to resign from despite his abysmal attendance record. But "Why back when I was in Vietnam I defended this country with these exact weapons ..." Devil

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by C1ay / September 15, 2004 10:34 PM PDT
when we are supposed to believe that Kerry more strongly supported the ban

When we see a bill to renew the ban with Kerry as it's sponsor. Of course, we all know that Kerry doesn't sponsor legislation. That would require him to actually show up for work and do something while he's there, traits not reflected by his Senate records.

Collapse -
Can you elaborate?
by Edward ODaniel / September 16, 2004 11:28 AM PDT

you say "the police unions are furious" implying that most if not all are. I don't think you can back that assertion up with any facts.

A few yes, but the majority no. The few how do make statements such as "Orono Police Chief Stephany Good said that law enforcement officers are held accountable for every single shot fired from their guns, and criminals acting without accountability can fire 30 rounds in two seconds with an assault weapon." and as familiar as I am with firearms I certainly could not do so with one of the 19 banned semi-autos. An actual assault rifle in full auto would be a horse of a different color but then they have been banned since 1934 and still are.

Most police are completely familiar with the simple fact that this ban did nothing but make the banned firearms more expensive although not any more difficult to purchase LEGALLY!

They are also aware that despite claims of "preference of criminals" was an empty and meaningless phrase as most criminals preferred (and still do) less expensive firearms.

Now, can you back up your claims? The National Association of Police Organizations by the way does NOT consist of lowly police officers but of their leaders who often endorse things the people they supposedly represent do n ot stand for. Pretty much like labor unions.

Most police and their unions were against the ban and are supportive of Bush. The Law Enforcement Alliance of America is one (lobbied for concealed carry for officers through the Clinton years and finally got it signed by Bush). Then there is Bay staties for Bush: Union led by White House pal eyes endorsement which would certainly be a slap in the face for Kerry. A little more on the LEAA -- Police Group Calls Expiration Of Clinton Gun Ban a Victory for Crime Fighting

Gun shops, police brace for end of weapons ban

Fully automatic propaganda

Kerry's left turn scares Democrats

Collapse -
Re: Assault Weapon Ban
by dirtyrich / September 15, 2004 8:31 AM PDT

Plain and simple...The law was busted anyway, it primarily banned weapons based upon appearance and not functionality. The Dems let it expire without really pushing for it, because even though they might actually believe in it, they see it as a more useful tool for attacking Bush, which they have done (note they waited until it was too late to do anything before they really publicized it), As for the Republicans, they saw it as a ill-designed law that was for the most part useless, and let it expire, even probably knowing the Dems would make an issue out of it because it is a minor issue and will probably not affect upcoming elections. The White House made the required "effort" to shield itself from a lot of blame.

Collapse -
Remind me ...
by Evie / September 15, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Assault Weapon Ban

... isn't Kerry himself a member of Congress? Couldn't he have used his leadership to get movement on this? Shocked

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oops! This was reply to Roger
by Evie / September 15, 2004 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Remind me ...
Collapse -
Sorry, that was ANOTHER meeting he missed because
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2004 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Remind me ...

he had more important things to do. Just like missing most of the Intelligence Committee meetings.

Collapse -
Dan, what's your point? President Bush has taken the wise
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2004 10:37 AM PDT

course of action. He's enforcing existing law, which is more than sufficient, and he's relaxing about the fate of this useless law. He's not opposed to it, but he's not going to alienate any voters over it either and look foolish in the process.

Collapse -
Re: Assault Weapon Ban - The *Dems* didn't want to renew it.
by MarkatNite / September 15, 2004 1:52 PM PDT
http://www.msnbc.com/news/985341.asp?0cl=c3&cp1=1

Democrats give up gun control issue

It started after the 1994 elections, when Democrats lost control of the House and watched such veterans as then-Speaker Thomas S. Foley (Wash.) get ousted after the Democratic-controlled House passed legislation making it illegal to ?manufacture, transfer or possess? 19 semiautomatic firearms...

Surveys showed that the gun issue played a huge if not decisive role in ending the Democrats? decades-long rule of the House that year...

A key turning point in the debate over federal laws regulating guns came on election night, when Gore lost West Virginia, Arkansas and even his home state of Tennessee.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go buy me a bayonet lug for the AR, just cuz I can - Mark
Collapse -
More on the Dems, Kerry and the AWB from CNN.
by MarkatNite / September 19, 2004 4:06 PM PDT
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/17/kerry.left/index.html

Is Kerry moving left?

Kerry's emphasis on gun control contradicted not only Begala but also Begala's former boss, Bill Clinton. In his memoir, President Clinton names gun control as a principal cause of the 1994 Democratic election debacle. He asserts that "the Brady Bill (for screening of gun purchasers) and the assault weapons ban inflamed the Republican base voters and increased their turnout."

A consensus of Democratic leaders believes that in 2000, gun control delivered West Virginia -- and with it, the presidency -- to George W. Bush. That view is not limited to Clintonite self-styled centrists but extends to champions of the Democratic left. Last December, when former Vermont Gov. Dean was riding high for the presidential nomination, he declared: "I am tired of coming to the South and fighting elections on guns, God and gays."

What's that saying about they that fail to learn from history? - Mark
Collapse -
From my inbox
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / September 15, 2004 2:41 PM PDT

Sigh...
With all the bad news...
more bad news...

Few friends got assaulted, I'm not sure what time or exactly when, I didn't asked.
They had no weapons but their tongue to speak their beliefs & principles.

And because of that, they were banned from entering the premises of course with restraining order.

Sad affairs! There are too many hateful, inconsiderate people who thinks that their power will forever last with them in the grave. If they only new, they are no different from DURACELL. Ahhhhh! Pee pee on them bullies.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Correction: new=knew
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / September 15, 2004 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: From my inbox
Collapse -
Representatives finally realized that the electorate...
by Edward ODaniel / September 16, 2004 10:18 AM PDT

wasn't being fooled by the fabrications and false claims of the anti-gun crowd.

They were beginning to question how exactly the APPEARANCE of a firearm made it more inherently dangerous than a prettier one in the same caliber.

They started seeing the duplicity of the media in demonstrations such as CNN broadcast in 2003 and their misrepresentation of the facts (hell, call it lying) in saying that the gun ban prevented the purchase of fully automatic assault weapons when in fact it did no such thing.

The great unwashed masses are starting to open their eyes and question what they are being told and letting their representatives know that they won't re-elect those who lie to them and who misrepresent the facts as well as misrepresenting their constituents.

The Anti-gun crowd recognized this and simply went through the motions of bringing up a renewal to satisfy the obnoxious Brady Bunch and hoping to garner political gain by doing nothing. Can't fault them for voting either for or against something that is not voted on nor do you have to flop around hopelessly claiming to have voted for something before voting against it when it was only voted on once.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a SNL script? the Muppets?
by jonah jones / September 19, 2004 8:42 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!