Laptops forum

Question

Aspire R11 (R3-131t) SSD and a Few Other Upgrading Questions

*Before I begin, I just want to note that I have already extensively looked for the answers online, but this is a new notebook from Aspire, so there isn't much at all for guides.*

In reference to Aspire R 11 (R3-131t):

1) how do I upgrade the capacity of the SSD? I tried looking for the SSD, but it doesn't appear to exist, so I'm thinking it is just integrated into the motherboard.

2) there is this small area/void next to the motherboard. The void is filled with a metal brace which can easily be removed. It looks like it was designed to allow for something to be put there. Can a SSD be placed there? And if so, how would I connect it to the motherboard?

3) can the CPU or GPU be overclocked? I understand that there is no fans, so it would have to be minor overclocking as to not overheat.

4) is there a way to increase cooling, whether that be via fan or heat sink?

5) aside from the SSD and RAM, is there anything else that can be upgraded?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aspire R11 (R3-131t) SSD and a Few Other Upgrading Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aspire R11 (R3-131t) SSD and a Few Other Upgrading Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Notice Wheatly asked same at link?

In reply to: Aspire R11 (R3-131t) SSD and a Few Other Upgrading Questions

Post was last edited on July 8, 2016 9:32 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is this that 32GB model?

In reply to: Aspire R11 (R3-131t) SSD and a Few Other Upgrading Questions

If so and from prior discussions it's soldered down on the board. This is to hit both size and lower costs. Less parts, no HDD/SSD connections means lower cost and thinner.

As to cooling you can place it on any cooling pad.

I see no upgrade paths other than to add storage via a NAS or USB.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Is this that 32GB model?

Ok, I see. Well there is the whole void with removable brace insert, and it looks like the exact size for a laptop SSD. But I don't see connections nearby for it.

Collapse -
The idea is simple.

In reply to: Yes

No connector = no cost. Strip the design down to no sockets for low cost as well as shrinking the size.

Collapse -
Add connector

In reply to: The idea is simple.

Is it possible to just add a SATA connector where it normally would be and then add an ssd?

Collapse -
That's the old "yes but."

In reply to: Add connector

Yes, but no guaranty that it will work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.