Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ASPIENUM.VXD Error

by bryent / November 19, 2003 12:09 AM PST

I recently was loading Windows 98 (1st ed) and encountered an error message regarding an aspienum.vxd file that might have been damaged. Where can I get this file. I tried checking the static vxd tab on when on safe mode under msconfig but there is no static vxd tab. Can you please tell me how to fix this problem?

In another related problem, my computer is no longer recognizing my CDRW drive other than as an image reader due to a problem w/the WNASPI32.DLL file. Nero will no longer install and my CDR does not recognize discs at this time. Is there a place where I can get the correct file? I thought I got it on the Nero website, but it doesn't appear to have worked.

Thanks.
Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASPIENUM.VXD Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASPIENUM.VXD Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something's not written here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: ASPIENUM.VXD Error
Collapse -
Re:Something's not written here.
by bryent / November 19, 2003 12:43 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks for your help. You're right-I was trying to install some program to convert WMA files to MP3/WAV files. I had all sorts of problems w/the installations as they did not specify the OS on the sites so I received error messages when the installation was nearly complete that my OS was insufficient.

Regarding the ASPIENUM.vxd file, which path would I want the file in?

The site you pointed to stated that I would want:

drive:\windows\path\file

but I do not know which path\file.

Thanks again for all your help.
Brian

Collapse -
Details please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 1:01 AM PST

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

You may have left out the name of the program you are trying to install, the error message and what CD recording software you are trying to install.

Since there are dozens of such programs, you can understand that I can't detail each program and steps to install an ASPI layer for each.

Write the details so the forum can help you.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Details please.
by bryent / November 19, 2003 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Details please.

The CD Recording software that I had been using and would like to continue to use is/was Nero...
Nero is the only CD Recording program that I use. I tried to install other programs (I am honestly not sure which at this point...SaveDisk was one...another was some WMA to MP3 converter, another might have been Precision CD WAV MP3 Converter and a final one might have been River Past Audio Converter. I didn't use any of the three as Save Disk was a waste and the other 2 downloads didn't work due to the Windows 98 OS I have.

Subsequently the aspienum.vxd error arose as well as the wnaspi32.dll error.

I hope this is adequate.

Brian

Collapse -
No error message then?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Details please.

Without it, I'll just ask you use SCANREG /RESTORE to go back to when it worked.

Here's the article how to use this tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228779

It notes not only how to run it, but how to sidestep a possible issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Aspienum Error Still Present
by bryent / November 19, 2003 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: No error message then?

The Aspienum.vxd error has yet to cease it's existence on my computer. I tried the Scanreg/restore to restore Windows 98 to it's pre-error state and it was unsuccessful. This is unbelievable.

Brian

Collapse -
Re:Aspienum Error Still Present. Without the error message...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 6:07 AM PST

I can't supply a precise answer. One last time?

Supply a "quoted" error message as a short sentance on how to provoke it.

Bob

Collapse -
Not really unbelievable
by Kees Bakker / November 19, 2003 6:35 AM PST

Scanreg /restore doesn't restore all of Windows, only the registry. Everything messed up, corrupted or rotten elsewhere (say, damaged or missing files in \windows\system) is unchanged.

The best way to prevent this kind of thing to happen is to make a 'snapshot' (copy, backup, whatever you want to call it) of the whole windows folder when it's in a working condition, either regularly or before doing updates. With some preparations this takes less then 10 minutes, which I consider a good investment of my time. A very good alternative is buying the Goback program.

Anyway, the fileinfo tool in the resource kit (on your Win 98 cd) tells that the dll is part of Windows. You can use SFC to extract it from the cd. Even if you had specified the error message it might have been impossible to say if this would help, and as you have decided to keep it to yourself that's even more so. But it wouldn't make the situation worse, I think.

Fileinfo also tells you that the vxd is not part of Windows. Presumably it came with 1 or more of the programs you tried to install, but which didn't work, or didn't work satisfactory. If the user manual or readme.txt (do read those files!) says they don't work with Windows 98, it's quite possible they mess things up beyond easy uninstall or even beyond easy repair. Especially if you choose to install the next and the next without proper uninstalling in between.

My best bet would be to remove the mention of vxd from the registry (it has a place where all vxd's to be loaded are listed) with regedit. This should take away the error message. Then uninstall (with Control Panel Add Remove, of uninstall links installed in Start/Programs) everything you can find regarding cd-writer programs. Some manual cleaning of the registry afterwards might be needed.

Then reinstall Nero and cross your fingers. You might very well end up with a format/reinstall. Everything else is pure luck, I'm inclined to say.

I do hope Bob offers some better advice, if you come up with the exact error messages. But I'm a bit pessimistic about it, to be frank.

Kees

Collapse -
Not so gloomy, but I do need that "quoted" error message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 7:11 AM PST

Without that, any answer will be generic and likely incorrect. The SCANREG can fix/rollback to some extent, but it failed. It was a generic item I offered since I didn't have the error message to go and see which fix should be applied.

When the error message is available, the lights will go on and I may find a "do-this" answer.

Since the thread limit has been reached, just reply to your original entry and we'll move forward.

Bob

Collapse -
aspienum.vxd
by alaeh / January 8, 2006 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: ASPIENUM.VXD Error

When i start my computer there is an error message appear
aspienum.vxd missing. What will i do?

Collapse -
aspienum.vxd
by vinantnic3 / January 12, 2006 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: aspienum.vxd

same problem here? love to see what the answer is - the old posts sites no longer valid.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.