Storage forum

General discussion

ASPI installation is corrupted

by redsnook / January 14, 2004 5:40 AM PST

I run Win XP Home serv pack1.2 CD-RW drives
Sony CD-RW CRX220E1 (Master on D)
Phillips IDE CD-RW (slave)
I've been having driver problems with crashes and windows error reporting just says driver problems..not which driver. I run Nero 5.5 and thier info tool says my ASPI installation is corrupted. I guess they have there own ASPI drivers that are OK. Is this a registry problem from software that i installed and removed? I tried using the BHA software and drivers that came with the Sony CD-RW but had problems with it so I removed it. In my drive properties/drivers installed it shows BHA still there with no windows signature and AHEAD which is Nero drivers which are not digitally signed either. It also has Win XP drivers which it says are. I think they are Adaptec. Is there too many drivers in there and what is with corrupted ASPI? I hope you can help. If you need more info i'll be glad to get it for you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASPI installation is corrupted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASPI installation is corrupted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:ASPI installation is corrupted
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2004 6:12 AM PST

I ran into this once. In the end we installed two of the same make/model CDRW drives to avoid issues with bundled software packages like you are having.

Sadly, outside of that, I found no easy cure-all.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: ASPI installation is corrupted
by mcginlay / October 28, 2004 8:40 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem hope somebody out there knows how to fix it, have contacted microsoft and they said go to nero. I havn't heard back from them yet. will keep you posted

Collapse -
Re: ASPI installation is corrupted
by Konrad / December 9, 2004 6:53 AM PST

Nero has always told me that my adaptect aspi layer was corrupt notwithstanding the fact ASPICHK and other burning utilities worked fine.

The problem may be a missing wnaspi32.dll in \program files\ahead\nero directory. You can try reinstalling nero, or looking for that file online (e.g. google or filemirrors.com and placing it in the above described directory.

As a general note, if you are getting a missing file other than directly from the source (i.e. Ahead Software), do so at your own risk!

Collapse -
ASPI Installation is corrupted, but ....
by TheGoodDoctord2 / December 30, 2004 11:36 AM PST

I was able to fix the corrupted ASPI, but Nero only recognizes my DVD burner as an Image drive. I have uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it, but Nero will not recognize the DVD burner. Any help out there?

Doc

Collapse -
Tell about the Nero.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2004 11:47 AM PST

Was it bundled with the drive?

Bob

Collapse -
Corrupted ASPI, but Nero only recognizes DVD as Virtual Devi
by TheGoodDoctord2 / January 2, 2005 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Tell about the Nero.

No, the bundled CD is damaged. I'm running Nero 5.5.10.15. Nero DVD worked fine until I upgraded to an I/O Magic 16X DVD +- RW +- R. Now it only recognizes it as a virtual drive. I have run the auto detect and seems to work fine, but the status doesn't change. Have you ever seen this before?
Doc

Collapse -
Tell about the Nero...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 4:35 AM PST

Where did it come from? It matters.

Bob

Collapse -
Nero 5.5.10.15 Only Recognizes DVD as Virtual Device
by TheGoodDoctord2 / January 2, 2005 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Tell about the Nero...

The Nero came from a disk. It has worked flawlessly for 2 years with my old DVD Burner. On 12-29-04, I installed a new i/o Magic 16X burner, and that's when it changed to the virtual image drive. I removed Nero 5.5.10.15 and then reinstalled it. Today, I downloaded the last upgrade from Nero, 5.5.10.58, and it to only identifies the burner as a virtual image drive. My next move is to reinstall the old burner. I also noticed that DVDxCopy did not work when I tried copying a DVD. I hope this helps!
Thanks,
Doc

Collapse -
It looks like a version LOCKED to some make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 9:35 AM PST

That is exactly what it does.

DVDcopy also may not understand the new drive.

Workarounds? Get the NeroCD for that drive. You wrote it was broken... Call and have them send it out.

Replacement software that is free?

Look up CDBurnerXP and DVDSHRINK.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by TheGoodDoctord2 / January 2, 2005 9:41 AM PST

Thanks R, I'll give it a try.
Doc

Collapse -
RE:ASPI installation is corrupted
by orochi / March 25, 2005 2:32 AM PST

Reinstall ASPI drivers, i prefer v4.6 to v4.7, Some applications can't run correctly under v4.7

If you installed ASPI V4.7X, you need run "aspiinst.exe" again, and nero infotool will be say OK.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?