TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Aspect ratio, part 389

by qrcubed / January 16, 2010 4:09 PM PST

Hi,

I know this must be a tiresome subject for many. I thought I understood the differences between 1.33, 1.78, etc.

I have a television series on DVD and when I watched it on my DVD player, a Samsung DVD-R135, in "normal" mode, I was expecting, and saw, the letterboxing. OK, watching a 1.33 series on a 1.78 set made sense for the squarish image to require the black bars on the sides.

We recently bought our first Bluy-ray player, a Panasonic DMP-BD605. Now when I watch the TV series, the player automatically fills the entire screen. When I check the aspect ratio, it says the screen is set to "full." When I adjust to normal, as I *always* watch whatever I am viewing in normal mode, the letterboxing appears but the scenes look distorted, with the people looking weird, different. They look much better and realistic in the full view.

I must be missing something, but I don't understand why the DVD and Blu-ray experience on the same 1.78 HDTV should be different.

I've tried to research this online and have found many sites that discuss the basics on the subject. But until I went Blu-ray, I *thought* I understood what was going on.

Thanks for any assistance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aspect ratio, part 389
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aspect ratio, part 389
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What tv
by givemeaname / January 17, 2010 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Aspect ratio, part 389

Do you have? Full on my tv shows the content undistorted. So if I watch a 4:3 show I get bars on the side, a 16:9 will fill the screen and so on.
Also is the BD player set to widescreen tv?

Collapse -
You just need to fiddle with all the locations
by minimalist / January 17, 2010 12:28 AM PST

where screen zoom and aspect ratio can be controlled (in the Blu-ray player and on the TV) and make sure the settings are all good to go. Sometimes auto detect settings can screw things up.

There is no reason a blu-ray player should distort a picture or play it any differently than a blu-ray player unless the disc itself is messed up in some way (ie a custom burned disc where the aspect ratio was incorrectly set). Commercial discs should not have this problem though.

By the way, the black bars on either side are usually referred to as "pillarboxing" whereas the top and bottom ones are letterboxing. If they are all around the picture on all four sides you have "windowboxing" (which only happens with really old DVDs that were released prior to anamorphic "enhanced for widescreen TV" techniques.

Collapse -
(NT) sorry... "play it any different than a DVD player"
by minimalist / January 17, 2010 12:39 AM PST
Collapse -
My understanding of "full";
by ahtoi / January 17, 2010 1:26 AM PST

Fill up the frame vertically then crop off sides. No distortion but loose the information on the side. I don't understand why the pictures are distorted when "normal", unless maybe the incoming picture is NOT normal.

Collapse -
Thanks to all
by qrcubed / January 17, 2010 6:23 AM PST

Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas or questions.

1) The TV is a Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000, their last of rear projection televisions before getting out of that technology.

2) The DVDs in question are commercially prepared and not copied.

What I need to do, again, is go over the entire setup menu sequences for the TV, DVD player, and Blu-ray. While doing this in the past, it is possible that some changes and/or adjustments were made and not saved. That is the only thing I can imagine.

I will post my results and if I find anything obvious.

Thanks, again!

Collapse -
Sounds like the player
by givemeaname / January 17, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks to all

I have a Sony a2000 in one room & a Sony widecreen HD CRT in another room.. 'normal' is undistorted, 'full' stretchs it wide, that is on both of TV's (the CRT calls 'Full' something else)
So it must be a BD player setting.

Just to make sure your using HDMI or component too hook up the BD player??

Collapse -
Cable check
by qrcubed / January 17, 2010 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Sounds like the player

Yes, I'm using HDMI to connect the BD player to the Onkyo receiver. I haven't had a chance to check out all the settings for the TV, BD, and DVD but hope to do so tomorrow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?