Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

.asp, .jsp, and javascript problems with IE7

by TE7 / March 26, 2007 7:23 PM PDT

Some .asp and .jsp pages are not loading, and having problems with javascript controls on some pages. My javascript problems are intermittent on some pages, put persistent on others. Are all of these problems related? I have done a repair installation of my XP SP2 system. No help. The only option left is to do clean install. I must use IE7's script engine since I have MSN dial-up, which has the MSN Explorer browser. I have tried all suggestions listed in the Microsoft IE forum, including: use RUN REGSVR32 on several DLLs, verifying registry keys, deleting all browser history, cookies and temporary internet files. Are there known issues with IE7 with these types of problems? Will I be wasting my time with a clean install? Any suggesstions welcomed. Thanks in advance for any posts.

Note: I did post my problem on the IE forum (newsgroup) at Microsoft. But there seems to be a zillion posts of people with IE7 problems; getting a response is not highly probable. So I wauld appreciate any input from CNET readers.

XP SP2 (all the latest updates)
Norton Internet Security 2007
Webroot SpySweeper for MSN
Windows Defender

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .asp, .jsp, and javascript problems with IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .asp, .jsp, and javascript problems with IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"a zillion posts of people with IE7 problems"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

Sorry, I only use IE for Windows Update. I also don't let IE7 on my machine since I am being asked too many times for help on it. So it's Firefox and other browsers for me.

Bob

Collapse -
Check Norton
by jackson dougless / March 26, 2007 11:55 PM PDT

Like I said in another thread that was locked... Norton will do a lot of strange things in the name of protecting people from themselves. Trouble is, quality control with Norton products has been on an ever increasing downward slide for years now, so it's hard to say whether it's a feature, bug, or unintended side effect of a feature.

And to answer your question from the other thread. I use AVG Free for my anti-virus needs. It's simple, but effective. Does everything I need, stays out of my way, doesn't have the false-positive issues Norton routinely does (that I've ever been aware of at least), doesn't bog my system down (though that's more of McAfee's claim to shame), and it's free. What's not to like?

For firewalls, I let my router do the work there. If I didn't have my router, I'd probably just use XP's firewall, being that I'm a big fan of simple but effective, which sums up the XP firewall quite well. The larger the feature set, the more chances for bugs to creep in, and with a security product like a firewall, that could bring disaster.

Collapse -
Thanks, Jackson...I was looking into AVG already
by TE7 / March 27, 2007 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Check Norton

I was looking into AVG Free 7.5; seems like a good deal. I think I'll uninstall Norton temporarily and see how AVG works. Thanks again for the reply. Tom

Collapse -
Had MSN Dialup and 7 days later, dumped it.
by darclew1 / March 27, 2007 3:46 AM PDT

Look closely at this; "live". Now look at MSN. lets see, MSNMESSENGER (live); www.hotmail.live.msn.com; IE7 search is live.search. One says MSN.com is Microsoft, two say differently. I have instaled twice as much from netzero.net (and it is $7 cheaper) can connect on links, browse web sites, write email, has a homepage also, free Skype called nzvoice. In those seven days all of the above did not work. Two dys, IE7 went down and so did MSN.com, day 3, could not access a .swf file sent by a hotmail user. Oh, homepage of MSN.com tied to Outlook Express, MSNMESSENGER & MSN Explorer. If MSN.com is Microsoft, why did they create another Explorer? Simple, it is not Microsoft! To prove this is that I removed from Windows with Add/Remove, msn butterfly, messenger and any other MSN items. My system is pure Windows with an ISP. And it is cheaper?? And when I get disconnected, netzero.net reconnects me, even on windows upate-but MSN.com goes down, no reconnect and when I get online, it a white page with black letters except the homepage but that is useless. I was up and fully loaded in less than 2 days. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Did a clean install...No Help
by TE7 / March 27, 2007 9:18 AM PDT

Did a clean install and not using any AV or anti-malware tools, just XP firewall. Problems still exist. Defeinitely an IE7 problem. Will post as a suggestion to investigate at the IE newsgroup forum at Microsoft. Oh well. The main page I'm having problems with are the login page when you go to enter a Tip at CNET, and the page wher you actually enter your Tip. The WSIWYG editor is not functional for me. Could someone else with IE7 verify whether they're having problems with this page or not. Thanks in advance for going to that page and seeing if you can enter a post (just see if you can type into the WSIWYG editor). Please reply on your results. Thanks. Tom

Collapse -
Right now, I would NOT reinstall IE7, there a bogus sites
by darclew1 / March 30, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

and it is listed in the forum Virus and security alerts Under Windows Vista which is under Windows XP on your left.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?