Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

asms problem

by flipto / September 17, 2006 2:16 PM PDT

i installed the winxp sp2 and everthing was going fine till it got to the las 37 minute...it says it cant find asms..i restarted but it kept going to the same error...im not a comp tech so any help is greatly appreciated...oh yeah, the cd i used was a copy...will i need to buy the cd? thanks for your time!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: asms problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: asms problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to Microsoft knowledge base...
by Papa Echo / September 17, 2006 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: asms problem

..find and look for Q311755.

Collapse -
tried it
by flipto / September 17, 2006 10:37 PM PDT

went to microsoft but nothing works..any other way to fix this?..its been 3 days and i have not been able to use my pc [im using the psp to get help]

Collapse -
help please
by flipto / September 18, 2006 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: asms problem

if theres no other way i guess ill have to buy a new comp? i cant beleive theres no solution to this...if you know any, please help

Collapse -
Which CD is a copy?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 18, 2006 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: help please

You said the CD is a copy.

What CD are you talking about?

Mark

Collapse -
help
by flipto / September 18, 2006 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Which CD is a copy?

win xp sp2 installation cd..the 1st time i installed it, everything went well but its just this 2nd time im having problems...

Collapse -
That's the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2006 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: help

Grab your original and make a fresh copy. I've seen that error and it's too often the CD or a read error. Not usually a hardware error or a bug.

Bob

Collapse -
I am not sure what you are saying
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 18, 2006 6:53 PM PDT

Are you saying that the installation CD for XP, (with SP2), is a copy?

If so, where is the original, genuine CD?

Is this a pirate copy of XP?

Mark

Collapse -
Still need clarification.
by Papa Echo / September 18, 2006 7:34 PM PDT

Is the CD a copy of:
?Windows XP with SP2 CD, or
?Win XP SP2 patch CD ?

Collapse -
more help pls
by flipto / September 18, 2006 10:39 PM PDT

the cd is wlndow xp w/sp2 which is a copy from my friend's original...i dont have access to the original copy of the cd

Collapse -
If you can't do a clean install from a Windows XP CD ...
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2006 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: more help pls

either it's damaged, or it isn't a good copy, or something is wrong with your hardware.

Are you sure you're doing a clean install?

Did you read and understand the "method 3" remark in the MSKB-article Papa Echo pointed you to in his answer to your original post. It goes like this:

"If you are not using a retail Windows XP CD-ROM with a hologram (for example, if you are using a burned CD-ROM), try to run the Setup program from a retail CD-ROM with a hologram. To verify this, start the computer by using Recovery Console, and then check the C:\$win_nt$.~ls folder. Look for the Asms folder. If the folder is missing or the files that it contains are zero bytes, the CD-ROM was not burned correctly."

Did you do this check? Was the folder present? Were the files empty?

And finally: did you follow the recommendation to install from an original Microsoft CD with hologram? No need to buy another computer. Just buy the original CD.
Or buy a license only, if you have access to one such CD already (but you say you don't). You'll need the license anyway, and that's the largest part of the price, so it's better to buy the CD, because you might need it again in the future.

Kees

Collapse -
It's no use.
by Papa Echo / September 18, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

Anyway, you won't be able to activate it legally, unless it is full retail and your friend has signed over the rights to you, in which case you may be able to get a replacement copy at minimal cost. So your friend has the original ? It is against the forum's policy to help you install a copy which has already been installed and activated. But tell more if you feel you are entitled to install.

Collapse -
You've found the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

I've seen this exact message when a read error happens on copied CDs. Microsoft will replace your lost CD if you are a legitimate owner for a fraction of the full retail cost (about 35 bucks last time I did this.)

If you don't own it, toss it and move to an OS you have the license to.

Bob

Collapse -
It's clear to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 19, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

that this is a copy of a genuine XP CD, and I consider this to be piracy, whether from a friend or elsewhere.

Therefore I am locking the thread.

Forum Policy is that these forums are not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities. As you are attempting to install a pirate copy of Windows XP I must halt this discussion.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?