Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac Applications forum

Question

askey

by klem39 / June 24, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

Back in the dark ages, before most of you were nerds, it was possible to use (please correct) ASKEY to form characters using "Alt / 156" to get £. This I did on my iMac key board to save using the $ etc recently. I now find that the Shift / 3 key now prints £ instead of the Hash sign.
Any idea how to reverse it please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: askey
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: askey
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Today you have to see what font is in use
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: askey

And then select from that font table. Here's an article about this.

So open Font Book (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2509 ) and then look at the Repertoire (displays all characters available in the font. You may need to use the scroll bar or zoom slider bar on the right side of the window to see all of the available character.)

Now that you know where it is in the Font set, you may be able to key it in. I did not find an "ASCII" font set.
Bob

Collapse -
ASCII 2
by klem39 / June 25, 2012 8:06 AM PDT

Thanks but not quite what I want. I would like to get the Hash sign when I press Shift / 3, just as I get @$ etc.
Incidentally I get the ASCII set when I hold down "Option" and press a key.

Collapse -
The easiest way to achieve what you appear to be aiming at
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: ASCII 2

is to use two different keyboard layouts.

To have the # symbol appear in Shift + 3 you would use the US layout and to get the £ sign to appear a UK layout could be used.
You can choose what Keyboards you want to use in System Preferences/Language & Text under the Input Tab.
You can choose as many keyboards as you want and just swap between them as you need.

Another way, would be to use the Input Viewer. You will find it also in the System Preferences/ Language & Text
under the Input Sources Tab.
Click Show Input menu in the Menu bar and from there, when you choose it, you will see a keyboard and the results of pressing various modifier keys.

Incidentally, Any good?

P

Collapse -
ASCII 3
by klem39 / June 25, 2012 12:06 PM PDT

Thanks, seems to do the trick. I un-ticked the the British option and ticked the Australian box (is US a language ? 8:) . Now find I can get the £ sign using the Option / 3 . also there is a sub culture that still uses ASCII . Google it.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
ASCII is still around,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: ASCII 3

but it is not as obvious anymore.

P

Collapse -
And now we have to avoid it. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ASCII 3

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!