512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)
Board: IBM IBM
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: IBM 2AKT40AUS 06/07/2004

Thanks All

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ask for compatible video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ask for compatible video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: videocard
by Kees Bakker / July 8, 2009 7:02 PM PDT

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-51305.html shows you can't use an AGP or a PCI-E(xpress) card, so you're limited to a PCI card. That's a very important criterion. Otherwise it won't fit.

Kees

Collapse -
Can be upgraded?
by luniazaki / July 8, 2009 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: videocard

So...can it be upgraded or not?...How about if I upgrade my RAM, does it help

Collapse -
Re: upgrade
by Kees Bakker / July 8, 2009 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Can be upgraded?

This are 2 separate questions, so I'll give 2 separate answers.

1. All or almost all PC's with video on the motherboard let you install a separate videocard to replace the one on the motherboard. So if you buy a PCI one you should be able to install and use it.

2a. Upgrading RAM to another (faster) type generally isn't possible. But you can add more of the same RAM than you have now if you don't yet have the maximum allowed for your PC. I didn't check that. See the manual or go to crucial.com to find out what memory you need and how much is the maximum.
2b. I don't know if it will help, because you didn't tell what help was needed.

Kees

Collapse -
For game PC
by luniazaki / July 8, 2009 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: upgrade

I want to build a good game PC....So what is your recommendation to get the best performance

Collapse -
(NT) So you want a new PC?
by Kees Bakker / July 9, 2009 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: For game PC
Collapse -
new PC
by luniazaki / July 9, 2009 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: So you want a new PC?

No, I want to keep this PC

Collapse -
Sorry, misunderstanding.
by Kees Bakker / July 9, 2009 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: new PC

You wrote "build a PC", so I thought you wanted to build a new PC. My fault.

Then, read the above discussions. Essentials for a game PC are a good videocard and enough RAM. So buy the best PCI (not PCI-E) videocard you can find (tomshardware.com is a very good source of information) and increase your RAM (you don't tell anything about it) to at least 1 GB if you have less at the moment. For some games 2 GB is still better.

The problem is that if you decide to buy a really new PC (that surely will perform better this one) you can't reuse the card or the RAM. So if you expect to buying a new PC in half a year or so, better not spend the money.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by luniazaki / July 9, 2009 6:58 PM PDT

Many thanks

I will keep my PC for next 1-2 years
Do you have any recommendation for the good part for new PC

Collapse -
Re: recommandation
by Kees Bakker / July 9, 2009 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

For the RAM, visit crucial.com to find out what type you need and what's the maximum amount your motherboard supports. Then buy it (somewhere).

For the videocard I've got no recommendation. Just noting that PCI cards are rather old. PCI-E is mainstream already for a few years.

Kees

Collapse -
DO NOT UPGRADE THE VIDEO CARD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Don't upgrade video card
by luniazaki / July 10, 2009 2:52 AM PDT

I couldn't understand your message. I haven't had any videocard yet in my PC and I want to buy a card which is suitable with my PC

Collapse -
Then get the 6200
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 2:56 AM PDT

It doesn't tax the power supply and is low profile, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.