General discussion

ASDL 10 Mb internet connection any good?

i'm living in spain for a year and need internet badly. the plans that are prepaid and are monthly don't have enough bandwidth to run skype and upload videos to my girlfriend, which would be the main purpose of my internet use. is ASDL 10 Mb any good? can it run skype, and more specifically, the video?

i will have my own router with the plan.

much thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ASDL 10 Mb internet connection any good?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ASDL 10 Mb internet connection any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: 10 Mb

Then A in ADSL stands for "asymmetric". So 10 Mbps means something like 1 megabyte per second downloadspeed (maximum, not guaranteed) and far less upload speed. That should be in the specs. With, say, 1 Mbps upload speed that's some 100 KB a second (not guaranteed either). So a 1 GB video should take 10.000 seconds (3 hours) to send.

Skype, even with video in webcam quality, wouldn't be a problem however.

Kees

- Collapse -
Uh, nope . . .

ADSL, Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line. Asymmetrical means two different speeds, as in asymmetrical. As with all analog data such as ADSL and cable, download speed is faster than upload speed. Reason being customer usage is more to downloading than uploading. Symmetrical data such as fully digital T1 and up, upload and download speeds are the same.

From my web site http://www.wayne2.net/dsl_course.htm

Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info