The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

as much as I love Molly n those other two...

by Jankylicious / November 10, 2006 1:56 AM PST

: snickers :: just kidding tom and V.

I SO have to disagree with the three of you regarding DRM and the majority of people not being pirates.

If you rounded up every mp3 player right now and put them in Guantanomo(sp)I PROMISE YOU, the majority of the players "questioned" will have at least ONE pirated song on there. Meaning the song was acquired by either an illegal download, or someone sending the file to them electronically or per bootlegg cd.

Maybe it's just me but here in good ol chicago I can tell you, i dont know a SINGLE individual who hasnt acquired, received or sent a music file that goes against the copyright laws.

then again Chicago is the home of gangster

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: as much as I love Molly n those other two...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: as much as I love Molly n those other two...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on definition of PIRATE
by Darayz / November 10, 2006 2:11 AM PST

I agree that every mp3 player out there contains at least 1 song not legally obtained by the user. But some people don't qualify as PIRATES. To be a pirate, you have to knowingly and willingly steal and share music files. Receiving stolen music files doesn't make you a pirate. Just an accomplice.

In other words, the mom who asks her teenage kid for song suggestions to put into her ipod isn't a pirate. The kid's the pirate. She's just an oblivious participant.

Collapse -
so..
by Jankylicious / November 10, 2006 5:42 AM PST

We can play the semantics game all day.. There is no difference between stealing and... creatively acquiring from friends.

Was the song paid for is the bottom line.

No.

Thus what do you expect the people to do. The masses cant be trusted to make the right decision when the easy way out is so... easy.

Hmph.. just ask Anakin.

Collapse -
HUGE difference
by Darayz / November 10, 2006 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: so..

The difference between a 'stealer' and a "creative acquirer,' is the difference between a drug dealer and a drug user. Both are illegal, but 1 of them gets a more severe jail sentence.

In the end, you're right. The song was not paid for and thus a crime was commited. But what you are stating is that everyone can be lumped into 1 category. And that's not fair to the people who never stole in the first place. The road to the right decision is hard. Just ask Luke.

Collapse -
College networks
by gwchemguy / November 10, 2006 2:11 AM PST

While I was in school, our student network was slowed down by the continuous sharing of files. I know of no one who has only legal files. Music and otherwise.

Collapse -
True
by Mick Ayling / November 10, 2006 4:38 AM PST

But then music industry relies on people finding their product and buying it. Personally I wouldn't buy a CD if I hadn't heard anything off it, or there was a connection with some other album or artists that compelled me to buy it. When you go to the supermarket they give you samplers, which is the whole reason music radio is allowed to exist as well.

In a world where people are moving away from accessing information via traditional broadcast media the record industry needs to wake up to the fact that peer influence will play a much larger, and also more effective part in getting their product out there.

Hence the wifi in the Zune with the limited life span on tracks. The influencers can pass music on to the masses who can sample it for a few days then buy the album.

Controlled "piracy" is not a threat to the record industry, but a cheap marketing and brand building tool.

Collapse -
justify it if ya want
by Jankylicious / November 10, 2006 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: True

"But then music industry relies on people finding their product and buying it. Personally I wouldn't buy a CD if I hadn't heard anything off it," - me neither. but that doesnt make it right to Jack the track

" or there was a connection with some other album or artists that compelled me to buy it. When you go to the supermarket they give you samplers, which is the whole reason music radio is allowed to exist as well."

- they give you samples because they decided to. If they didnt want to allow you a sample that does NOT give you the right to kick in a box of coco puffs and start munching in aisle 4, to see if you like the taste of it's coco goodness.

"In a world where people are moving away from accessing information via traditional broadcast media the record industry needs to wake up to the fact that peer influence will play a much larger, and also more effective part in getting their product out there."

_ Not denying this. But the point is.. they have a right to protect their bottom line.

" Controlled "piracy" is not a threat to the record industry, but a cheap marketing and brand building tool."

-It's a threat to their profits. But they indeed need to understand how to work with their customers in this new marketplace. Still doesnt give us the right to track jack.

I've got several gigs of music on the pod right now im previewing that i "acquired" but that doesnt make it right. and i have no remorse in it either. I dont want to spend $9 to see if something is anygood.

but it doesnt make it legal. it makes it convenient and it adheres to the " I want it now, and i want what i want when i want it" mentality of the masses.

doesnt make it right. and im sure im not alone... which is exactly why these companies need their DRM

Collapse -
Just me
by kellenjb / November 10, 2006 5:20 AM PST

I guess I am just the minority, but I do indeed get music illegally (mostly from friends), but the reality is if it is music I like I will go buy the CD. And most of the time I would have never known that the band was even out there. Pretty much, for me, the music industry is getting more money due to illegal file sharing. But as I said I assume I am the minority.

Collapse -
true
by Jankylicious / November 10, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just me

I do the exact same thing.. i get music from friends who suggest I hear such and such band. After i hear a few songs though I WILL actually purchase the track.

but that is hardly the way most people operate id imagine.

Just because a few good eggs are out there, it doesnt take away from the fact that most people have no problem Jackin tracks.

" The wasp that does not sting, defines NOT the way of the wasp."

Collapse -
hmmm... a gulag for music scofflaws?
by punterjoe / November 10, 2006 9:30 PM PST

Do you work for the RIAA?
A guantanamo-style detention center for mp3 player owners?
I'll never be able to hear the phrase "Music Camp" the same way again. Thanks a lot! Silly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?