Desktops forum

General discussion

Artist looking to build PC for graphics

by will2truth / November 8, 2009 9:07 PM PST

Hi all!

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice from those more educated about computers than myself (not difficult!)

I have been putting together specs for a computer by looking at other peoples builds and changing where nessessary. I know nothing about building a computer and wanted some kind advice about my choices.

Specifically, will there be compatibility problems and does anyone feel that am I wasting money anywhere or cutting corners!

Thanks for your support

Primary use: Photoshop (with graphics tablet) and other graphics software. Watching and editing video (hobby only). I am an artist so image quality is of primary importance.

Parts so far;

Processor: Intel core i5 750 (was waiting on this, I am right in assuming it will be better for me than AMD Phenom x4 955 -black? Also, are there different versions of the i5?)

Motherboard: Advice on what would be a good match would be greatly appreciated.

Graphics: ATI radeon 4850 (1GB), ATI radeon 4770 or should i look at the new ATI cards, maybe 5750 or 5770?

HDD: 1TB 7200rpm Serial ATA (probably get a back up external HDD)

Memory: Know very little about this area, maybe Patriot DDR3-1333 (2GB x2 x3?)

Case: Advice appreciated, HAF 932/922 or Antec (Should I be worried about power supply and fan?)

Monitor: I am considering the Hyundai 421D. It is an IPS panel so the color accuracy and viewing should be better than a *VA? The stats look convincing, has anyone heard anything, positive or otherwise about Hyundai? Here are 2 reviews if anyone can find the time to have a quick look!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hyundai-W241D-PVA-High-Quality-at-Low-Price-80327.shtml
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-hyundai-w241d.html

I am really worried about making a mistake, missing something important, buying something that doesnt work well, or overheats, or wasting money on technology that will become redundant quickly. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to check for me!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Artist looking to build PC for graphics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Artist looking to build PC for graphics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics software.
by Porch-a-Geese / November 13, 2009 4:30 AM PST

I'd suggest going for a Linux/GNU or FreeBSD system built for graphics.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/graphics.html
You'll have to setup the system and configure the graphics.
Wait, don't get discouraged. You can build the system to your exact specifications. Security, graphics libraries. Follow the instruction for gpu drivers and opengl and your system will fly.
You can run linux binaries on it.

Linux systems can be setup in a similar way.

The graphics tablet can be used.
If you're able to do it. Linux and BSD support multiple independent pointers through xorg.

Collapse -
Linux compatibility
by will2truth / November 14, 2009 6:35 PM PST
In reply to: Graphics software.

Thank you for the reply and for the good advice and link!

I had never thought about a Linux based PC. I am pretty clueless about other operating systems. My brother is a programmer and is always complaining about windows (heard he is not the only one).

My only concern is if I can use Photoshop on a Linux based system? I bought CS2 some time ago and have been using other versions of Photoshop for almost 10 years. I am really familiar with it. Looking at the site FreeBSD Ports you gave me, am I correct in assuming there is a way to run Photoshop? I did a word search and it came up with gimpshop (love the name!)

Regarding the actual spec. Do you have any comments or advice?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!