HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Artifacts in graphics, what are they?

by bonehead--2008 / December 17, 2004 5:00 AM PST

I have run across a term that I do not understand, artifacts. I could guess but I would like to know what the term really means in reference to graphics. Is this term refering to old images intergrating themselves with new ones like ghosting or something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Artifacts in graphics, what are they?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Artifacts in graphics, what are they?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bonehead, Spots .....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 12:32 PM PST

Artifacts in various types of graphics refer to almost any anomoly in the picture displayed on the screen. Most often, it's simply a spot or wiggle on the screen, or pixels show up in wierd colors, or sometimes, the game shows strange effects on the screen. Artifacts can be the result of a number of different issues, including monitor display maximums, a graphics card heat or software problem, too much hardware exceleration, or a number of other things.

To find out more, do a search on:

Hope this helps.


Collapse -
by bonehead--2008 / December 19, 2004 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Bonehead, Spots .....

Thankyou for your help.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.