Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt

He is speaking live as I write. A few minutes ago this was said by Arnold... "the Republican party of Lincoln. Of Teddy Roosevelt. And it is the Republican Party of George W. Bush".

It dismays me that he'd say such a thing. The Republican Party of today has nothing in common with the GOP of old. It is exactly opposite now.

Lincoln and Roosevelt were defacto Democrats by today's standards of social issues, progressions and reforms.

The last real Republican president i think would be GHW Bush. A true moderate. I don't mean to inflame, but would note that there is more of the Lincoln-era dixiecrat in our PResident than there is of true Republicanism

Henry Ford, that great industrial powerhouse, and "republican" by todays standards to his very core by his words and actions ran for US Senate in 1918. Ford ran as a Democrat. Why? Because the "transmogrification" as a writer here put it, the exchange of base of the two of parties had not fully completed at that time.

Unions had not yet fully taken hold. BOTH parties were much more moderate in tone and temper than they are today. And both then registerd core values not so very dissimilar.

I think it is an insult to history then, when Arnold (whom I otherwise like in most departments) plays pin the tail on the donkey with Lincoln and Roosevelt. Those two great Presidents are his donkey in his political game. And he makes GWB the tail. In pinning GWB metaphorically to this donkey he missed by an, uh, ***-width. Pardon the insult or not, that's the fact.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt

In reply to: Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt

Or it could be that he was going along the idea of Presidents who who led their party and nation through great challenges and succeeded. Or it could be *gasp* simple political expression, which of course the nice and completely honest Democrats never do. By the way, has anyone decided what the definition of "is" is?
But as for the changing of the political climate into more polarized gorups, I agree, but I see the Republicans as being the closer to the moderate position today as they have a tendency to associate less with extreme groups.

Collapse -
Re: Arnold associates GWB with Lincoln and T. Roosevelt

I almost choked on my drink when he said that! He displays a shocking ignorance of all three presidents.

Dan

Collapse -
Read you post, and appreciate the laugh

Writing apparently under the influence of THC will often do that.

You ought to quit and spend some time in the real world. Alice and the White Rabbit aren't your friends.

Collapse -
Interesting.

I didn't hear the speech, and that type of laughable speech material is one reason I'm not watching this convention and didn't watch the other. Take that back ...the only speech I did listen to was Clinton's. That was great.

The next two months should be very interesting.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts and I agree.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.