General discussion

Arizona hosed by the court!

You don't have to prove you're a citizen in order to vote!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arizona_voter_id

PHOENIX ? A federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down a key part of Arizona's law requiring voters to prove they are citizens before registering to vote and to show identification before casting ballots.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the law requiring voters to prove their citizenship while registering is inconsistent with the National Voter Registration Act. That federal law allows voters to fill out a mail-in voter registration card and swear they are citizens under penalty of perjury, but doesn't require them to show proof as Arizona's law does.

The ruling left in place a requirement that voters provide proof of identity when casting ballots.

Insane!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Arizona hosed by the court!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Arizona hosed by the court!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Huh?!

"This will enable the many poor people in Arizona who lack driver's licenses and birth certificates to register to vote," said Jon Greenbaum, legal director for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

WHY do "poor" people lack birth certificates? This is lunacy.

- Collapse -
WHY do "poor" people lack birth certificates?

Because they didn't apply for them, same reason as some rich people don't have one?

- Collapse -
(NT) All driver license places also issue Identity Cards
- Collapse -
Do you have to pay for it?

Identity Card?...

Hi, I'm JP Bill, give me an Identity Card.

Then I suppose they want proof.

- Collapse -
(NT) you can file indigent status
- Collapse -
(NT) And all hospitals issue Birth Certificates.
- Collapse -
Could you cash this check for me, Mr. banker?

I know I forgot my I.D. and you don't know me as a regular customer but I promise the check is good...pinky swear. Wink

- Collapse -
Are you suggesting...

that people who are already breaking the law would LIE?

- Collapse -
More than that

I'm suggesting that, at least when it comes to politics, deception has become accepted practice. It has not only been allowed to flourish but has been nurtured by many who "serve" us. The end justifies....you know.

- Collapse -
Surely you don't think that certain interests...

say, the Democratic Party, would encourage breaking the law for their own advancement?

- Collapse -
encourage breaking the law

I know you love to have proof when someone else makes an accusation.....SO

Got proof?

- Collapse -
'Tis the season right now

Watch and listen to all of the political ads from both major parties. I won't go so far as to suggest lawbreaking is encouraged but certainly "creative" expressions of what might be (technically) true are part of the sales process. Republicans are in a battle against Obama and Pelosi and Democrats still hide Bush in their ads. As well, listening to any two candidates ads, you'd think both were crooks. It's not about revealing the truth but creating perceptions of what truth is. Neither party, IMO, has a monopoly on a willingness to compromise absolute honesty if a little twisting of the facts offers an edge.

- Collapse -
Some of the ads this year have been brutal...

but as long as they don't break the law, it's protected speech. What bothers me is the increased level of outright voter fraud and lawbreaking being done mostly by ONE party.

- Collapse -
Another one...

Philadelphia.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/28/2010/october/27/residents-cry-foul-over-ballots.html

A trio of Bucks County residents backed by the county Republican committee say they have evidence linking Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy's campaign to a scheme to flood the county voter registration office with fraudulent applications for absentee ballots.

In a petition filed Tuesday, county Republicans say the name of Murphy's campaign manager appeared on a Bristol post office box where voters were urged in a series of letters paid for by the state Democratic Committee to send absentee ballot applications.

The county Republicans submitted with the petition a photograph of a note inside the mailbox that said, "Tim Percico and Paul Hampel only pick up mail." Tim Persico is Murphy's campaign manager, although his name is misspelled in the note. Hampel is a volunteer for the Democratic state committee who said he collects mail from the box.
"The bogus letter seeks to trick voters into needlessly registering for absentee ballots and then, for reasons unknown, causes them to send those ballots to a post office box apparently controlled by the Democratic candidate for Congress," the petition says.

- Collapse -
residents backed by the county Republican committee

Residents need backing? Prodded into? Put Up to?

could someone use the words "were put up to doing something by the county Republican committee" instead of "backed by the county Republican committee"

submitted with the petition a photograph of a note inside the mailbox

They didn't take it because that would be theft. Since they had access to the mailbox, who's to say they didn't put the note there? Wouldn't that be some sort of crime? Opening another persons mailbox? Perhaps a Union Postal Worker let them take the photo?

- Collapse -
interesting trick

I wonder how many if they saw an "absentee ballot" that really wasn't, placed in their mailbox, would fill it out and mail it back in the preadressed envelope, never checking the destination, and then fail to vote on Election day since they thought they already had. I could see it being done as a "survey", which of course that part would be in small insignificant print. Drive around in a fake mail truck, slap them into mailboxes of those registered to your opponent's political party.

- Collapse -
Drive around in a fake mail truck,

and I thought you guys had VERY strict rules about mail fraud.

I guess the reward must be worth the risk.

What would a truck driver get...about $10/hour.....NON-Union of course.

- Collapse -
Fail to vote on Election day since they thought they already

had voted. That's the whole point of the scam, and why it is a crime. Committed by criminals aka Democrats. I hope they get prosecuted.

- Collapse -
(NT) Survey
- Collapse -
Survey SAYS!!!!!!
- Collapse -
What a revelation

Democrats can slander twice as much as Republicans? Or is this Democrat crimes compared to their slander against Republicans? Your google means nothing. However I'm sure you will appreciate these mug shots of Obama supporters. I would put up mug shots of McCain supporters, but none have been found.

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/mugshots-with-obama-shirts

- Collapse -
A change of filter
- Collapse -
Another example...

Of the ends justifying the means, regardless of legality...

http://soundpolitics.com/archives/014348.html

When Maria Gianni is knocking on voters' doors, she's not bashful about telling people she is in the country illegally.

She knows it's a risk to advertise this fact to strangers -- but it's one worth taking in what she sees as a crucial election.

The 42-year-old is one of dozens of volunteers -- many of them illegal immigrants -- canvassing neighborhoods in the Seattle area trying to get naturalized citizens to cast a ballot for candidates like Democratic Sen. Patty Murray, who is in a neck-and-neck race with Republican Dino Rossi.

Pramila Jayapal, head of OneAmerica Votes, says the campaign is about empowering immigrants who may not feel like they can contribute to a campaign because they can't vote. [BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HERE LEGALLY!!!! HELLO!]

"Immigrants really do matter," Jayapal said. "If we can't vote ourselves, we're gonna knock on doors or get family members to vote."

- Collapse -
Lawbreaking update...
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/soros-funded-501c3-uses-illegals-to-gotv

Needless to say, OneAmerica is a 501c3 tax exempt ?charity.? As we have noted often before, 501c3s are supposedly prohibited by law from campaigning on the behave of any candidates for political office. From the Internal Revenue Service:

Political Campaign Activity

Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise tax.

Indeed, the Internal Revenue Service also allegedly prohibits 501c3s from lobbying Congress over legislation, which is the single purpose of OneAmerica, which actively lobbies Congress to pass amnesty:
- Collapse -
I remember when the Soviet Union fell...

The Communist Party was declared a "criminal enterprise." Same here for the Dems?

- Collapse -
That would work

then you would have a 1 party system?

kinda' like a dictatorship?

- Collapse -
(NT) You mean "Peace in our time"?
- Collapse -
Peace in OUR time?

How much longer are you planning on being on this planet?

I need to know when you expect to depart before I answer.

Of course, no straight answer is expected, same for you, I assume.

- Collapse -
That's what happens, when

A State tries to change a Federal Law?

- Collapse -
Or that's what happens when federal government

totally ignores the notion of state sovereignty and where its own power emanates from?

CNET Forums

Forum Info