Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

While surfing on the net on various sites, going from page to page, example, from page 4 to page 5, etc. seems random., I get the following pop-up box as follows:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?
Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page.

I click on OK, to continue because that?s what I want to do, and everything is fine. Just wondering what this is and can I turn it off. Running windows xp pro, sp3, zone alarm, avast, Malwarebyte?s. Scans bring up nothing. Up-to-date on all windows updates.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have any 3rd party browser add-on or gadgets?

In reply to: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Can you try to reset IE setting to its default or try opening IE using 'no add-ons mode' and see if you will still get the said dialogue box.

Collapse -
reset IE setting

In reply to: Do you have any 3rd party browser add-on or gadgets?

Thanks for replying, Donna. Wow, a lot of steps per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Well, will give it a try. Obviously, like a lot of people there are add ons. When I checked managed add ons, it listed Adobe flash, IE spell, java, McFee site & adobe reader. Standard normal stuff that I have had for some time. As an FYI, from time to time I do a reformat, because I can, and its easy to do. And since this issue came up about three weeks ago, I did a reformat yesterday. But its still there. So, might not post back for a while as I try various steps.
Thanks again,
Eddie

Collapse -
Try first the no add-ons mode Eddie

In reply to: reset IE setting

Before you do a reset. See if any of those common add-ons is the culprit which I think it is especially if you've just fresh install Windows.

Take your time Happy

Collapse -
Thanks, Donna

In reply to: Try first the no add-ons mode Eddie

For leading me in the right direction. As I mentioned, I reformat from time to time and I usually do my own "slip-streamed" add-on's, but I got lazy and downloaded an "Adobe Flash Player" add-on from a trusted site. Since this was my most obvious 'suspect', I uninstalled this add-on, and haven't had any issues since. So far the only "flash" installs that I have done are those that pop-up for certain sites that are needed. I assume I don't "need" to do a "full" 'flash player' install, but will cross that bridge when I come to it. And yes, it was supposed to be the most recent version, 10.0.42.34.
Anyway, thanks again Donna
Eddie

Collapse -
Glad it helped, Eddie

In reply to: Thanks, Donna

I suggest though to avoid that method of using Flash Player by clicking on pop-ups for certain sites. It's a risky method of using this plug-in because there are incidents of malvertizements (malware in ads) and fake servers of any plug-in for Flash. If you have to view flash contents, I suggest installing the plugin already then change the settings of Flash Player by going to:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html
You can the settings for the following by browsing at the left of the page:
Global Privacy Settings Panel
Global Storage Settings Panel
Global Security Settings Panel
Global Notifications Settings Panel
Website Privacy Settings Panel
Website Storage Settings Panel

Yes, the current version is 10.0.42.34 and you can verify your flash player installation/version by going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Also, confirm that it is installed in Add/Remove Programs Utility in Windows.

Collapse -
Adobe 'settings'

In reply to: Glad it helped, Eddie

Thanks again, Donna
Regarding the 'settings', frankly I have never used them. I looked through them, I don't have a camera or Mic and everything is set to "ask" or 'no disk space', which seems o.k. Some of the 'sites' listed seem odd but if their set to 'ask' or no disk space, seems no harm no foul. I believe I had looked at this "issue" before and thought it was of no import, "to me" anyway, but "your" the expert so I'll leave it at that and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Since my initial "issue" has not returned after I uninstalled the "Adobe" that I had slipstreamed, and now I have reinstalled Adobe from a fresh "copy", maybe the problem is resolved.
Thanks again,
Eddie

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to hear the issue has not come back, Eddie.

In reply to: Adobe 'settings'

Collapse -
Smiley Central was my problem

In reply to: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

I was having that same problem, mainly in facebook. I was told to uninstall my smiley central. Not sure if you have that or not. But it was listed as "My Websearch (smiley Central)..Now I have not had an issue with it for 2 days now.

Collapse -
ads

In reply to: Smiley Central was my problem

I've experienced pop-ups like this that are actually ads, and it is the most obnoxious thing in the world. When I go to the website, the page is overtaken by a full screen ad, and if you try to close the tab or reload, the "navigate away" pop-up appears. When you click "ok" to navigate away from the page, the page simply reloads, even if you've clicked the "x" on the tab, and your back at square one. I have yet to find a way to close the ad without closing my entire browsing session with the task manager. Has anyone else ever encountered this? Does anyone know how to close the ad without ruining my browsing session?

Collapse -
One detail you forgot to tell: what website?

In reply to: ads

I've got no problems at all at http://oew.leisb.org, to name an example I happen to know. But there are millions and millions of others, so indeed it could be one of those behaves the way you say.

Kees

Collapse -
ads

In reply to: One detail you forgot to tell: what website?

Fanfiction.net. It's definitely a feature of the website, because this only happens on this particular site (for me, anyway). Every so often, after clicking a link to a new page within the same site, a full page ad appears; sometimes it's a video, sometimes it's just visuals, but there's a link that says "close ad" that you can click to get past them. Then, there are the "navigate away" ads, where any attempt to close the ad short of ending iexplore.exe fails. It's maddening.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.