Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ARE YOU CAHOOTS WITH CRAWLER??!?!

by Nicky Froobs / July 2, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

This is a known malware vendor. Why are all the user reviews out of chronological order? The two or so honest reviews, identifying it accurately, including mine submitted immedately before this post, are pushed to number 30 out of 50 reviews or later. I know I should pay for more of my software, but still, don't tempt my anger. I am in training for government service and I am more than happy to let uncle sam have the exclusive right to data mine me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ARE YOU CAHOOTS WITH CRAWLER??!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ARE YOU CAHOOTS WITH CRAWLER??!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?
by Nicky Froobs / July 2, 2007 9:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nicky Froobs
by tomron / July 2, 2007 10:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Response...
by John.Wilkinson / July 3, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

It would have been helpful to indicate you were referring to the program Spyware Terminator on download.com. After tracking it down through your profile I found that Spyware Terminator was de-listed as rogue on Spyware Warrior over a year ago as it no longer was found to be suspicious, despite the company's affiliations. (click here) In addition, after looking through the user reviews on download.com I don't see an indication that they are 'plants' as several of those who gave Spyware Terminator fair or good ratings are long-term members with dozens of other product reviews. Finally, please note that the reviews are, by default, sorted by how helpful others have rated the reviews. Along the top you will find the option to sort by Positive Rating, Negative Rating, and Latest Post as well...you're choice. If you do wish to report Spyware Terminator as being infected by malware or otherwise rogue you can do so by clicking here. However, I see no indication of that, only past transgressions with other products.

John

P.S. I don't see what "game" you wish to play or why you mentioned that your adopted uncle works for the government and that you're in training for government service. That doesn't seem pertinent to your claim that Spyware Terminator is rogue.

Collapse -
Thank you for your professional response.
by Nicky Froobs / July 3, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Response...

...but if you want to get technical, just try installing and uninstalling the program once, with the bundled toolbar - which, according to one of the other two reviews which rated it one star, installs itself regardless of user selection to do so - there should be no doubt to even a minimally computer literate individual what this program actually is. In order to complete the uninstallation process, the program requests a reboot (?!?), then immedately reinstalls itself onto the browser AND startup again, as does the main spyware program, if you attempt to uninstall that. Are you following my algorhythm so far? It stays resident, spawns a million registry entries, DISABLES control panel, and, according to a user ON CRAWLERS OWN FORUM, continues to redirect the browser in covert ways even after a manual uninstall. Crawler gained notoriety as a malware vendor some years back but the memory of it had grown dim and I carelessly installed it out of trust for your reviews and this website - I've came to this site even before it became C-Net. Well, I've learned my lesson. You've got a lot of cool wares but I went out and bought Kaspersky today and am installing it as we speak. No more freebies for me. Some things you can't trust to casual solicitors and security tops that. Again, I am humbled by the sheer audacity, flagrance, and tackyness of their strongarm hijack tactics. Well, one thing is for sure; they really DO take the spy out of SPYWARE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?