Speakeasy forum

General discussion

are we all getting crazier?

by Roger NC / March 25, 2013 11:51 AM PDT

Man gets road rage after being cut off, follows with his wife and infant in car into the other truck's home yard.

Get's out punches the driver, two jump him, his wife gets out with a gun, he takes it, shoots at the other guys, hits the house next door.

That's not just road rage, given the time involved. There was one report, unconfirmed that the couple drove back by after leaving once and shot out the moving vehicle.

Some passenger in the truck videotaped it with a phone.

video

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: are we all getting crazier?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: are we all getting crazier?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Crazier...maybe not so much as must plain meaner.
by Steven Haninger / March 25, 2013 7:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
A good example of being just plain mean
by Steven Haninger / March 28, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
21 year old girl brain dead after reporting teen attempting break-in

From the article;

"Harvey saw a 17-year-old boy kicking the door of a house across from her Walnut Street home in what appeared to be an attempt to break in. When she went outside, the teen ran around the side of the house and disappeared.

Harvey called police. She later saw the same teen standing on a corner and identified him as a boy who lives in a nearby house on S. Washington.

A short time later, a 16-year-old girl came out of the S. Washington house and began threatening the Harvey family for identifying the boy as a burglary suspect."

So she reports kid to police and the teen's family and friends come to his rescue. She's currently waiting to see who is a match for her organs so they can pull the plug and harvest them. Moral...if you see something not right in your own neighborhood, turn around and walk away?
Collapse -
what the hell?
by Roger NC / March 29, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

Article doesn't even say why they defended the boy?

I'm guessing someone's boyfriend or other such, and no matter why he was kicking the door, just like most domestic distrubances, when the police show up, the victim defends the suspect.

Still, all they had to do was say it was a misunderstanding, etc.

Hope the charges end up more serious than the current ones.

You can't argue with anyone or defend anyone it seems. I'm almost surprise they're not charging the other girl they were threatening for not running away from the confrontation the way so many things go now a days with the zero tolerance blame both sides attitudes.

Collapse -
I suspect a Hatfields and McCoys type neighborhood
by Steven Haninger / March 29, 2013 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: what the hell?

I'm somewhat familiar with the area. It's largely an agrarian hub. It's one time major industry was a paper mill but that's gone due to EPA issues. The town isn't exactly full of wealthy folks or the highly educated. The 21 girl victim had two kids. One was 5 years old and the other 4. There's no mention of a husband. I shouldn't think what I'm thinking but I suspect this wasn't exactly a tight knit neighborhood full of folks interested in keeping it neat and friendly. Perhaps quarreling was their favorite pastime.

Collapse -
(NT) there are such neighborhoods and people, sadly
by Roger NC / March 29, 2013 1:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are...
by Willy / March 26, 2013 1:18 AM PDT

6B people in the world and you're going to see every type of instances of human behavior. So, it only goes to show, "don't cut someone off" or angaonize the situation. Alot of people are living very hard or anything else you want to call it. But, no matter it shouldn't be an excuse to conduct one's self, but control can be lost. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
come out of the hills!
by James Denison / March 26, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: There are...

there are more than 68 people in the world.

Collapse -
I don't see 68
by Steven Haninger / March 26, 2013 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: come out of the hills!

I see 6B...as in billion. Font or cleartype issue?

Collapse -
Let me wipe my glasses
by James Denison / March 26, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't see 68
Blush OOOoooohhhh!

<div>
</div>
Collapse -
Font: Arial not much good for anything.
by drpruner / March 26, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't see 68

Except every time we use it, Bill and Melinda get 0.005 cents.
I knew what Willy meant (I graduated from 3rd grade) but I had to look twice to be sure what he typed.
(James flunked recess and so was held back.)
(I won't put a smiley in; let's see if James goes to the Mods.)

Collapse -
Nope
by James Denison / March 26, 2013 3:58 PM PDT

Because while you were obsessing over my possible reaction I was checking out my new Kubuntu system I loaded onto a 16 GB flash drive and using it's Konq browser while checking in on CNET at the time. Sort of double tasking there. In fact, I've been having so much fun with it today, I'm using it now to post this too. I surprised myself by using it all day long. Cost? $9 for the USB drive, $1 postage, and about $3+$1 postage for a DVD version disc. I chose not to download 4 or more GB's of the operating system for free. This USB flash drive is 1.5 inches long, half inch wide, and 1/10 inch thick in a metal casing.

Not a bad deal to have a fully loaded operating system on a 16GB "hard drive" (USB-HDD) for $15 or less. Some new motherboards are shipping with flash memory drives already loaded with a simple operating system installed, for instance one by MSI. I won't be surprised if all new motherboards are sold that way within the next year or two.

You can run one of these and store most of your large files onto a server somewhere, not even needing a regular large hard drive in your computer.

The easiest versions of Linux versions for Windows users right now seem to be Kubuntu 12.10, Mint Linux, Xubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu 10.04, in that order I think. If you like Windows 8, then you might prefer the newest version of Ubuntu which has some similar look to it.

Collapse -
If it's not been developed yet
by Steven Haninger / March 26, 2013 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

I can imagine an OS on MB flash memory and such as USB sticks to define users. One would insert the USB stick, create their account and be able to walk away with it. Such things as the MS "My Documents" folder would be on the USB stick as well as custom settings for software. I don't know about software itself being able to reside entirely on a USB stick...at least not with an MS operating system...but it should be possible. At any rate, such could allow users additional mobility and ability to plug into public terminals such as might be installable in motel rooms and such. Of course you'd want to make sure that, just like house and car keys, you make duplicates of the flash drives.

Collapse -
Internet Cafes
by James Denison / March 27, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

I've read that in Europe where windows is not considered a "necessity" for many users, they do use other systems for the security it provides, since each new user boots the system from a "read only" device like a Live CD or DVD and if they want to save a file they have to have their own thumbdrive, or store it on a server somewhere online. When the person is finished, the computer is turned off till the next user and when it boots again, all is just like it was before, no persistent user data there to be accessed by the next user.

Sounds like a great way to run an internet cafe to insure online security for each user. Swap file or pagefile is done to a Ramdisk which disappears soon as the computer is reset or turned off.

Collapse -
I'm waiting for automobiles to have user profiles
by Steven Haninger / March 27, 2013 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet Cafes

By your key, your car will know you. It will adjust the seats and mirrors to your presets when you insert it. It will also set the temperature and radio presets. If you override any setting such as to accommodate a hard nosed passenger, you'll have the option to save or discard the changes when your driving session is over. Your wife, son or daughter will have their own key with their own profile programmed into it.

Collapse -
some do
by Roger NC / March 27, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

don't know what he had, but a co-worker using his wife's key doing something to the car laid the driver seat down and accidently updated her settings.

Now she got in the next day, cranked the car up, and bam, the seat laid down.

Fortunately she didn't stomp the accelerated and hit something.

Or at least nothing other thn him once she got out of the car.

If I think of it, I'll ask him what kind of car it was. I do think his wife tended to drive upscale option loaded models.

Collapse -
Wife's settings, changed to husband's settings,
by drpruner / March 27, 2013 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: some do

and the seat laid down ....
And he's still alive?

Collapse -
(NT) divorce though (not related incidents, I don't think)
by Roger NC / March 27, 2013 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
works if you use a computer there
by Roger NC / March 27, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet Cafes

so many use laptops or tablets wirelessly at internet cafes, pay for access codes.

Collapse -
I used to d/l latest Linux and toy
by drpruner / March 28, 2013 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

with installing. What my wife and I have now is Xp Pro and Office 200 Pro (separate, legal versions of each). Her laptop goes online, so she has the security updates for both. My desktop is never online so my s/w works fine at home.
It's possible I'll get cut out of things by being stubborn, but IMO it will take a while. In that case I go back to abacus and carbon paper.
What I am watching is the great growth in cloud computing, esp. storage. Two points: First, I notice that IT managers are losing control of their charges, who now can do much of their work in the cloud and avoid company restrictions.
Second, what if the 'Net goes down??? I'm told there's currently a slowdown worldwide due to a fight between a spam group and an anti-spam group. How long would things have to be dark, or even twilight, before business fell behind itself?

Collapse -
that's why I regard cloud storage
by Roger NC / March 28, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

as being good for backup, not operational, even though they're pushing for everything to be in the cloud.

The model is basically the cloud replacing the 1980 mainframe and the PC becoming the client, even if a smart vs dumb client, just a client.

Collapse -
(NT) Right. But it's already going beyond backup, I'm told.
by drpruner / March 28, 2013 7:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) yeap, why I compared it to mainframe and client now.
by Roger NC / March 28, 2013 9:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bad news, Willy ...
by drpruner / March 26, 2013 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: There are...

7+B
HappySad
But you have a point.

Collapse -
Almost 8 hours between his post and yours
by Steven Haninger / March 26, 2013 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad news, Willy ...

A lot can happen in that time.

Collapse -
(NT) maybe but I hope not another B born, or conceived!
by Roger NC / March 26, 2013 11:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sounds extreme, but IMO not related to "all getting ..."
by drpruner / March 26, 2013 9:05 AM PDT

It's the everyday stuff that's increasing horribly. Child murders everywhere, famines caused by wars over empty dirt and so on.
The first road rage I heard of was over 20 years ago, in my county about 10 miles away. Panel van did something another driver didn't like (probably accidentally). The other driver pulled alongside and got out his shotgun. I think it was a Mossberg or similar, with the pistol grip. He put a round or two into the side of the van and killed a young mother.

Collapse -
Another thought related to gun control maybe
by Steven Haninger / March 26, 2013 9:44 AM PDT

If we're wanting to screen out the mentally unstable from being able to have guns in their hands, why not the same for getting behind the wheel of a car? Huge penalties for road rage episodes maybe? including automatic license revocation?

Collapse -
terms of bail
by Roger NC / March 27, 2013 7:48 AM PDT

A few extras thrown it maybe.

Bail set, ban on approaching the other parties involved, or their relatives, neighbors, and any witnesses.

Also, the man who fired the pistol is banned from being in possession of a fire arm outside his house while on bail.

Anger management etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?