Cameras forum

General discussion

Are used DSLR's kosher or verboten?

Aside from the usual cabeat emptor stuff that goes along with purchasing used complex electronics (not to mention eBay in general), any particular thoughts on wisdom of buying a used DSLR? I notice some listings on eBay mention the number of "actuations"--- is this a valid stat for gauging the use of the camera?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are used DSLR's kosher or verboten?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are used DSLR's kosher or verboten?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes

I know that the xxD(40D,30d, etc) from Canon have approximately 100,000 shutter actuation life. The lower cameras do not show the actuations unless you send them into Canon. The replacement of a shutter is about the same price as a cheap used DSLR. I think the Rebel series are rated at 50,000, but I'm not for sure.

Collapse -
Used DSLR

In reply to: Are used DSLR's kosher or verboten?

Many people like to have the latest version on a camera.
They sell the old camera and use the money to buy the later model.
So there are always good used cameras available.

Some people also try to sell old broken cameras.

The problem is to know which are good and which are bad.
Who can you trust?

Some camera stores (brick and mortar type) buy and sell used cameras.
There you have the advantage to hold the camera in your hands.
They usually provide some type of warranty.
That is a good place to look.

As far as "actuations".
There seems to be a consensus that the camera maker can access the true number of actuations from a camera.
But how that is done seems to be an unanswered question.

Collapse -
Good to know

In reply to: Used DSLR

Sounds like its just like all the other things where I just have to be careful. Are there any big things to watch out for that I can check during a physical and functionality inspection at a camera store?

Collapse -
You should be fine

In reply to: Good to know

The only time you will have a problem is if it was used by a pro. They use their equipment much more than the average person, so an entry level camera should be OK.

Collapse -
That makes sense

In reply to: You should be fine

I wasn't thinking of that (I was more worried about abuse to the camera, but certainly pro use will take its toll as well).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.