Laptops forum

General discussion

Are these upgrades worth it?

I'm buying a laptop this summer. What I'm really looking for is light, inexpensive system. I did some research and ended up with the gateway NX270S, its pretty crapping system as is, but they let you upgrade everything. I went and costumized it on their website and the price tag came to 1035. (it starts at 699)
I just what to know if these upgrades are worth it.

It comes with:

512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-256MB modules)
60GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive
intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are these upgrades worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are these upgrades worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not for Vista I take it?

In reply to: Are these upgrades worth it?

If you read our Vista forum the nods are that we want 2GB RAM. Your upgraded ram appears to use all 2 slots so you may be upset to have to remove those 2 for the 2 1GB modules. Try getting 1-1GB stick if you have the stay under that price point.

Bob

Collapse -
No I don't think it's worth it at all

In reply to: Are these upgrades worth it?

Personally I don't like Gateway. And for the price you are going to pay for these upgrades is not worth it. First off the processor in the system stinks compared to todays standards. If you are going with Intel for a brand new laptop I suggest an Intel Core 2 Duo. The pentium brand processor has been ruled out, and just isn't worth the price you are going to pay. I would consider looking at another model or better still another computer company. Good Luck

Collapse -
Brands

In reply to: No I don't think it's worth it at all

I looked at a lot of different brands. Sony was too expensive. Toshiba and hp seemed ok though. which would you recommend?

Collapse -
Out of Toshiba or HP

In reply to: Brands

I would choose HP. Look at their models. Just keep in mind when doing so that you have an option between an Intel chip or an AMD chip. I believe not going with the Gateway will do you a world of good. You would be spending money for a computer that eventually would not be able to keep up with you.

Collapse -
HP, got a few at the office. Dad has a Toshiba.

In reply to: Brands

The dual core 17in 1GB, 160 or so GB hard disk, XP Media Center and from Amazon.com was just about 1100. Today I think same model has the Core 2 Duo so you do need to keep shopping.

Bob

Collapse -
Both are good quality for the price.

In reply to: HP, got a few at the office. Dad has a Toshiba.

Comes down to personal preference and maybe what you can score a deal on. Play with some display units.

HP has the killer media control setup, a webcam (some models) and better media software. Last I heard, the quickplay feature isn't supported in Vista yet (situation expected to change). But look into the "processor buzz" issue, it's really bothering some people.

Toshiba seems a tad better as a workhorse. I preferred the plain Jane touchpad on it for functionality (with the right settings, not the default ones). Toshiba seemed to have better ergonomics (subjective call) and the keyboard struck me as better quality. Good utilities and software-based control packages.

Recent feedback on tech support seems to favor Toshiba. I have had limited experience with it, but they seem competent with good English skills.

I went with Toshiba, but wouldn't argue with anyone choosing HP.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.