HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Are these files in the Windows directory safe to delete

by VAder94 / August 31, 2007 1:16 PM PDT

In my C:\Windows directory, I have a whole bunch of folders that are blue and all have names that are variations of each other. The folder names all start out with $NTUninstall... or $NTServicePackUninstall... Can these be safely deleted? Also, what does it mean when file and folder names are blue in Windows Explorer, as I'm seeing some that are?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are these files in the Windows directory safe to delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are these files in the Windows directory safe to delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VAder94
by tomron / August 31, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

I wouldn't delete them,It is the update hotfixes.

These are listed in add/remove.Open add/remove>check the "show updates" box.

Check this LINK

Tom

Collapse -
Uninstall Files
by Darton Fury / August 31, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: VAder94

The uninstall files can all be deleted if you really need the space. But once they are deleted it removes the option to EVER uninstall the hotfixes.

Collapse -
OK to move files?
by ralphf926 / July 26, 2008 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall Files

I'm running out of space on my C drive and would like to move these files to another drive. They total 2.1gb. Anyone see a problem doing this?

Collapse -
Did you see the other replies?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: OK to move files?

Although they appeared to say different things, they in fact are similar in their advice. The link to http://www.winxptutor.com/randomfolders.htm gives more detail.

If you delete those $NtServicePackUninstal folders, or move them to another drive, then the Windows Updates they referred to will no longer be able to be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs.

Your choice. If you never intend to uninstall those updates installed now on your system then removing those files will do no harm. It might be that moving them, then returning them if needed may work, but I am not sure.

I haven't removed or deleted mine. But since I do not intend uninstalling any of the updates I have now installed on my system I am not sure why I still hold them.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes, you can move the files to make room ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 26, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: OK to move files?

and you can move them to any storage media (another hard drive, USB flash drives, or CD or DVD) and should you later need to uninstall any just move or copy them back into the Windows Directory where they were originally located.

If you move them to a Cd or DVD just be sure to change their properties back from Read Only after placing them back into the Windows directory.

Generally if they have been there for a while (and you can tell how long by the date the directory (folder) was created) and the computer hasn't had a problem with the patch, hotfix, or Service Pack they can simply be deleted without worry since you haven't had to make use of them yet. Any less than a week or two old I would leave in place.

Collapse -
One more question - xp sp3
by ralphf926 / July 26, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

I've installed xp service pack 3. Doesn't that make all these uninstalls useless? Thoughts?

Collapse -
Re: uninstalls
by Kees Bakker / July 26, 2008 9:19 PM PDT

All such an uninstall does is replacing the updated version of the files (mostly exe's and dll's) with the original version and undoing any registry changes.
So, if 2 updates both update the same file (exe, dll) and you undo the first one, it actually overwrites the last one, leading to a somewhat unclear situation. It is imaginable that such a mix of updates would lead to a real mess.

I agree with Ed. Just keep them for a limited time.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.