Phones forum

Resolved Question

Are there any non-smart phones that support java apps?

by QLucas091 / March 9, 2012 10:47 PM PST

I had a RAZR V3xx and it had awesome support for java games. you could go online and download an game and it would work great. I've had several non-smart phones since and they aren't compatible with anything unless you get it from the service provider.

QLucas091 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are there any non-smart phones that support java apps?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are there any non-smart phones that support java apps?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by QLucas091

Collapse -
Oxymoron or similar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 11:10 PM PST

Since we need a CPU and more to be able to run a Java interpreter and manage a file system that allows you to install apps, you have crossed the line to smart phones in one step.

How else would you run code without a smarter phone?

What I think your real question is what phones allow downloads (be it Java, Brew, Bada or such languages) you might be asking for phones that have downloads but avoid the current scourge of all charges called "the data plan."

But then I would be guessing that was the real question.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, be nice....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Oxymoron or similar.
Devil Not nice to call someone a moron, even in the thread title..... Devil

I am kidding....of course.
Collapse -
Oxymoron is not that at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Bob, be nice....

And no reflection on the OP. If I offended anyone will always apologize as something is always lost in translation.
Bob

Collapse -
I get your point.
by QLucas091 / March 10, 2012 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Oxymoron or similar.

You explained it perfectly 'phones that have downloads but avoid the current scourge of all charges called "the data plan' thats what i meant exactly.
i liked how the razr v3xx was compatible with pretty much any .jar file and nothing else has been like that since but i guess since smart phones are so accessible now its pretty much a mute point!

Collapse -
Will an Android do?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I get your point.

I mention a Virgin Mobile 99 buck android phone a lot. I wouldn't if it wasn't for the 35 buck a month plan and that's what my son has. I may be joining him next year.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.