PC Applications forum

General discussion

Are Registry Cleaners Legit?

So my computer is running really slowly recently, and when I google probable causes I see cleaning out the computers registry as a solution to my slow PC issues. I'm just wondering if registry cleaners are legitimate solutions for a slow PC, and if so, should I trust all of these review sites? A friend recommended http://bestregistrycleaners.org and they review a few different software programs, but it seems like all of them cost money? I trust the reviews, but should I actually plan on spending money to repair this so-called registry?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are Registry Cleaners Legit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are Registry Cleaners Legit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Absolutely Not

In reply to: Are Registry Cleaners Legit?

They create problems and more times than not ruin your operating system

Collapse -
They're snake oil

They do no good and can cause problems - avoid them.

Collapse -
Always good news

For techs world wide. They need more folk to use them!

Collapse -
I don't understand this answer.

In reply to: Always good news

Whart does this mean?

Collapse -
It's my way of saying.

In reply to: I don't understand this answer.

That it usually creates problems rather than curing them so it's "good news" for my friends in the repair business. Not so good news for consumers.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you.

In reply to: It's my way of saying.

Collapse -
Download free cleaner, do clean job step by step

If you fear to use those tech product, your pc will not be able performing well.

If you just don't want to spend money for that, learn some base knowledge at first, then download those free necessary cleaners to speed up your pc.

Slow PC running might caused by multiple reasons. Not just Registry.

Here I can tell you that as a newbie, we should just do regular 'Registry Cleaning', 'Common Cleaning', 'Memory optimize', turn off those third party programs operation whatever through 'Startup Manager' or other tools.

I recommend you download WiseCare365 free, or WiseRegistryCleaner+WiseDiskCleaner(they are free).

Anyway, I don't suggest you do cleaning at a big step, but just as I recommend do it like as a newbie. You might try more other advanced features after you familiar to them. This is a safe way.

Collapse -
? How good this answer, why dislike it?

In reply to: Download free cleaner, do clean job step by step

Whatever, his answer is helpful to newbie, isn't it?

Collapse -
Do not jump to conclusions

In reply to: ? How good this answer, why dislike it?

There may be a number of reasons why the machine runs slow. "Dirty" registry would be the last of them. If you went to see your doctor with a belly-ache and he sent you for a colonic straight away, you would know you got yourself a quack, right?

Collapse -
Look at what CNET.com recommends.

The one program the I see over, and over on CNET.com is CCleaner. I have used it myself for years without any problem. But don't take my word for it, check it out on CNET.com and see what they say. Oh, by the way, CCleaner is also a free program.

Regards,
TMV

Collapse -
Disk Clean

In reply to: Look at what CNET.com recommends.

It's much more advisable to do a manual clean, with an advanced user it's far better than any freeware. And may be combined with a scanner as well (anti-virus generally).

If you're having pc problems i'd agree with "The Masked Villain" in suggesting CCleaner, diskanalyzer is another great freeware to combine with that. Try those two, plus the onboard Microsoft defrag (it's just as good as 3ed party's anyway in most situations).

If those three steps don't work, a virus scan (which you should do monthly anyway) may be necessary; try malware bytes or if you have $$ than something like norton would work as well.

Collapse -
Are Registry Cleaners Legit?

All registry cleaners are not legit. I use tuneup utities and its registry cleaner works fine.

Collapse -
free staff is 1st choice, of course

Sometimes registry cleaner helps.

you can search "free registry cleaner" on google.com
The top one screams! Good luck!

Collapse -
the good and the bad

Well, registry cleaners are certainly controversial, but the truth is somewhere in between. In many cases, they're not necessary. The wrong program, or the right one used incorrectly, can do more harm than help. Many programs are disguised malware. But to simply say that they're all garbage and should be avoided at all costs is also unwarranted. In some cases, they can help, especially for those who install and remove stuff, perhaps somewhat indiscriminately.

Tech pundit, Fred Langa did some interesting and illuminating tests presented in this article:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/putting-registry-system-cleanup-apps-to-the-test/

I will say this: when plagued by a slow PC and hardware problems are ruled out, a clean OS install is usually the best and, surprisingly, the fastest route to curing the slowdown. If you're good about backing up your data, this is relatively painless, and no registry cleaners are ever needed. And even better, after a clean reinstall, adding all updates, installing your apps, and restoring your data, make a full image backup of your system. The next time you have a problem it will only take minutes to get back your lost performance.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.