TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Are RCA cables inferior to coax in terms of picture quality?

I have a 32" LG LCD TV and I just got a digital cable box (terminal) from my cable tv provider. There's both a coax cable and RCA cables (3 cables - NOT HD) running from the terminal to the tv. With the remote I can choose between different video sources: "TV" refers to the coax cable; "AV1" and "AV2" refer to 2 sets of RCA ports. If I select "TV" then the picture quality is better than if I pick AV1 or AV2. I also have 2 sets of RCA cables. I tested one set with AV1 and the other set with AV2. Reds, yellows, light greens, oranges, and pinks all look brighter when I change the source to "TV". Is this typical? Is coax better when it comes to picture quality than RCA cables? Since AV1 and AV2 both look inferior to "TV", I think it's unlikely that the problem is the TV. Otherwise, I would have 2 sets of bad RCA jacks on my TV. Does this sound typical or do you think I might have bad cables or a bad digital terminal?

Are all RCA cables the same or are some brands better than others? I could buy a new set of cables and try again.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are RCA cables inferior to coax in terms of picture quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are RCA cables inferior to coax in terms of picture quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Likely A Cable Problem

In reply to: Are RCA cables inferior to coax in terms of picture quality?

There is a difference in the method by which a signal is transmitted over either cable, so there really isn't a way to compare the two, although the RCA cable (composite video signal) is preferred over coax (modulated signal).

If you are experiencing an inferior quality picture with the RCA input, it might be hard to pin down where the problem is. You can start with the cables, but I doubt that is an issue. Some cables are made better than others, but you will not likely see a significant improvement.

It could be the output of the cable box itself. What make and model is it? You may be able to do some research on the web to see if others are experiencing the same problem. Ask your provider if they can provide you with a different model.

Hopefully it isn't you TV, but it could be. There could be a big difference in the way it is processing video from each source. Again, you might find some information through web search for your make and model of TV.

Hope you have some luck. Happy

Collapse -
Problaly not much difference...

use whichever is most convenient. Just my thought.

Collapse -
just to clarify

you are talking about composite connection like sunwatcher is understanding Not component, right, since you said non-hd. Cuz, well, you can still get non-hd thru component.

the above is out of simple curiousity. I have a strong suspicion that its the cable box. I would ask to swap that out. How old is it? some cable stb's can go rather quickly ive seen.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.