Laptops forum

General discussion

Are netbooks ok for Word?

by mtume1soul / January 31, 2009 2:25 AM PST

Hi all,

Am thinking that netbook might be good for my mom - she only uses internet & Word and is looking for something very light.

qx: she does a good amount of writing in Word, and so needs it to work at full speed. i'm worried it might be too sluggish given low RAM and processor speeds in many of the models -- what have folks found?

any and all advice welcome,

cheers,
annette

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are netbooks ok for Word?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are netbooks ok for Word?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is "full speed"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 4:42 AM PST

Let's say I pull up Open Office or Word 2003 on my Acer Aspire One. What test can I do to measure "full speed"?

I can do this test so let's spec it out and I'll get you an answer.
Bob

PS. It's chilling to read that 1GB RAM and 1.6+GHz CPU speeds are now considered low and slow.

Collapse -
definition of full speed
by mtume1soul / January 31, 2009 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: What is "full speed"?

alas, i have no technical test for full speed -- Happy

she's right now got an older laptop that is sort of limping along, and takes *forever* to open up Word (and launch browsers, etc.). so we want to get new laptop where things won't be in crawl mode. if you feel like you get solid Word functionality (not drumming your fingers endlessly waiting for launch), then that's good enough for us.

mainly, this query is coming from having suffered thru bigger and bigger office versions gobbling up anything in sight, no matter what your specs, hence the worry about a gig ram and processing speeds like the below.

more generally, how are u liking the netbook format?

cheers, and thx for quick reply.

Collapse -
Forever must be less than forever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 6:04 AM PST

Here Word lauches in seconds not minutes. Open Office just a little longer.

Can you give me something specific I can try and hand you "It takes 5 seconds to ____."

Sorry, I have not tried Office 2007 so I can only do this test with Office 2003 today.
Bob

Collapse -
seconds
by mtume1soul / January 31, 2009 8:04 AM PST

that sounds great, the starting up in minutes. and fine on office 2003, that's what we're using. i'll see if i can come up with a real test, have to check with her, but either way, this has been super helpful, thanks!!! Happy

Collapse -
On my desktop ...
by Kees Bakker / January 31, 2009 6:16 AM PST

XP, 1 GB RAM, 1.8 Ghz dual core (E6300?) it's about one second from clicking Word icon to being able to type in a new document (with Firefox open, and antivirus running). That's OK with me. A comparable laptop might have a slower hard disk, so it would take somewhat longer. But I don't have a comparable laptop, so I can't test.

What would be acceptable for you? If you find it important, better try it before you buy.

Kees

Collapse -
super useful
by mtume1soul / January 31, 2009 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: On my desktop ...

thanks, that really does help. i think this may be what we're looking for. will try out, as u say. Happy

Collapse -
Typing
by Renegade Knight / February 2, 2009 3:22 AM PST

If your mom types with 2 fingers a netbook should be a good deal.

If she actually types when she writes, I'd go with something with a real keyboard. A high end netbook and a low end laptop aren't that different. You want 12" widescreen minimum to allow for a full size keyboard.

Collapse -
Hopefully you havre s licensed copy of
by orlbuckeye / February 2, 2009 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Typing

Word. If you have to buy word it could cost half of the netbook. Most new computers come with 60 day trials of office. Open Office is free so you may consider that if money is an issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!