Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Are my systems ready to upgrade?

by judgejeremy / January 10, 2007 9:44 AM PST

I sent this e-mail to the newsletter e-mail address, but I'm not sure if they have the time to respond to each individual consumer. Please read my e-mail and see if you can answer my question!

Hi Lee Koo and CNet staff! I have been a huge fan of all your work and reviews; and I want you to know your advice helps guide me to make smarter decisions. It's been tough for me to accept the loss of James Kim as I was extremely fond of his work. But for now, I have a question about Vista. I know you're probably extremely busy with iPhone deets right now, but I had a quick question involving your Vista Readiness Adviser. There are CNet recommendations, but how will I know if my computer is powerful enough to perform Home Premium without upgrading to a dual-core system? My CPU is an Intel P4-HT 2.8GHZ, is that definitely out of the question?I'm sure many P4 users, who aren't ready to upgrade their systems, are curious to what extent will Vista versions (Home Premium) run (semi)-smoothly. I didn't pass the CPU, RAM, or Video Card tests; but that's for a few reasons. The CPU, as I already explained is Intel P4 Hyper-Threading 2.8GHZ rated at 4.20 (on the adviser) I recently upgraded my integrated graphics to a 256mb Radeon 9200 Series. I failed 2 of the 5 categories because my graphics card has Vertex Shader Version 1.1 and Pixel Shader Version 1.4 (Both need 3.0) Another main question, where do I go to upgrade these drivers? If I can get these upgraded, my system seems a lot more capable of performing Aero effects. If quality makes any difference in my upgrade decision, I have an HP.

I also have another system, an HP with AMD 2.0GHZ 3200 chip. I have 1GB RAM, and a 128MB Radeon 9200 Series video card. If I can upgrade the drivers, (once again, need website to update) would my system be acceptable for Vista Home Premium? For both of these PC's I've passed in every category except CPU, RAM, and Video Card, (the most important, I know) but 1GB RAM seems powerful, the video card will pass with updated drivers, and my main concern is the CPU.

Thank you for your time and I'm curious to see if my systems can run Vista Home Premium!

P.S. Intel-based HP system I think is a350y and AMD-based HP system is a450e (I'm not near the Intel system right now, but I think that's the model number; keep in mind I have done some upgrades)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are my systems ready to upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are my systems ready to upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!