TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Are HDTVs overated

by wade627 / April 8, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

I was looking at HDTVs at bestbuy and almost all of them i could see jaggys in lines and on the snowpeaks of skying i could see artifacts in the snow.Sure the colors are more vivid and lifelike but i could see stuff on them that i dont see with my 200 dollar analog.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are HDTVs overated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are HDTVs overated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes on a good tv
by givemeaname / April 8, 2007 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Are HDTVs overated

I have 3 HDTV's, CRT, LCD & SXRD. The only one that looks bad is the LCD (3yrs old) but only with standard definition channels. BB uses direct tv & they use more compression then dishnetwork, causing more artifacting. Some store just stick-up an anntena outside.
Next time look at the BluRay demo.

Most tv's in the store are set on a demo mode, like sony has 'Vivid' set as defalt. This make the tv look supper brite in the store but adds artifacting because lots of the inhasment software is turned on, making the tv have to do more work to inpress people.

The bigger you go the more you will see flows in the film.

Collapse -
I meant a Good HDTV is not over rated & the cheap 1's are
by givemeaname / April 8, 2007 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes on a good tv

Just forget the title that putin in the 1st post, that is what I get for typing & playing around on YouTube at the sametime :}

Collapse -
WADE THE PROBLEM IS BEST BUY
by stewart norrie / April 9, 2007 2:41 AM PDT

The truth is any quality hi.def t.v. is going to have a better picture than the best movie theater in town, and live shown not film are going to look even better And the best part is you can go to a huge screen size and it still looks stunning even better because you dont have to squint your eyes to see the fine detial My local b.b. has all there t.v.s set up perfectly its like eye candy for your eyes stewe

Collapse -
Best Buy. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 9, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

does not send an HD signal to their display TVs, usually. Corner a salesperson and ask them what kind of input they are using. A properly connected HD TV with HD input will sell itself.

Collapse -
Unfortunately they lie about it
by bkchurch / April 9, 2007 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Buy. . .

Last time I asked a BB employee if a TV was receiving an HD signal he said it was, however it clearly was not. Also I asked him if the TV could handle 720p from a PS3 because it was a 1080i native TV, he told me it was a 720p native TV. They lie and tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.

Collapse -
um..
by masterying01 / April 9, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Best Buy. . .

best buy sends HD signals to their displays through a 75Ohm RG6 cable. rather if its displayed in hd or not depends on the tv. every tv with an atsc tuner can pick up 17-1 and 14-1 which is BBY's HD feed. in order to display it, the tv has to have an atsc tuner. for those without it, it can only display channel 4. the signal is a 1080I signal cause it takes the least bandwidth to run to so many tv's while still keeping things hd.

there are exceptions. some stores will have "open item" walls which have no coax running to it from the main source. these are usually hooked up with upconvert dvd players or htib's. these will very rarely be in hd.

Collapse -
MY LOCAL BEST BUY IS AWSOME
by stewart norrie / April 9, 2007 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: um..

All displays t.vs are set up perfectly. with excellent vidio feed seems all the hookups are h.d.m.i. The store is up to date and salesfolks are well trained. when you walk in the salsman will be right there and they are not pushy, But when you go into the magnola section, the salesfolks always act like they are busy with something which they are not then run out the back door. any way nite nite time see you tomorrow after my pokler gamr stewe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!