Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Are HD players shock resistant?

by netsky / August 16, 2004 12:59 AM PDT

Do HD players survive accicental knocks and drops? (first of several questions I'd like to ask this forum)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are HD players shock resistant?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are HD players shock resistant?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Are HD players shock resistant?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 1:15 AM PDT

So far, I've been able to ferret out how many G's of shock a device can take in operating and non-operating modes. It varies around 10 to 40Gs. The 10G is a little low and is not about damage but that the player will not play at 10G vibrations. But if you are being hit with 10G shocks, then you wouldn't live long.

At 40G, that's much like a drop from tabletop to concrete. Most will survice a few, but keep it up and it will break.

If you have such dropsie syndrome, they you will want to go solid state or add some bungie cord. No maker today will warrant against abuse. In fact, the trend to 90 day warranties are very likely due to not only getting the price down, but stepping back from drop damage.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Are HD players shock resistant?
by netsky / August 16, 2004 2:02 AM PDT

Thanks for your expert help, Bob.

I am just beginning to shop for my first mp3 player. Have just found the following sob story on the everythingusb.com forum page: "my (netsky deleted brand name) fell on the floor it was about a 1 foot drop and i was playing the middle of a song and the battery popped out as well now my player does not start it just goes to the rescue mode screen and every time i select format files it says hard disk problem and and i hit the reset button on the bottom right it doesnt do anything it just restarts the player but takes me right to the rescue screen..."

Oh how I'd hate to have that happen to my own purchase. And I do drop things that have headphone cords attached... so, I feel that I'd better rule out HD players. It would appear that the iriver 800 series is a good bet for me even tho the current crop tops out at 1 gig of memory

Question: isn't it just a matter of a short time before we see 4 and more GB flash players? Surely, at this time 4 gigs of flash memory would fit just dandy into an iPod Mine sized case.

This leads me to wonder WHY are people going ga-ga over the iPod mini and Rio Carbon? They are cool foot stompers today... but tomorrow's tiny white elephants?

I will go out on an unqualified limb and state that iriver it probably timing things to extinguish the relevance of 4Gig and similar HD based players. Is my opinion (a newbie's) supportable?

Collapse -
More than a music player And what about a Rhinoskin?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

The iPod has other nifty things you can do with it such as Belkin's addon that lets you transfer pictures from your digital camera to the iPod and then to the PC/Mac.

There is hope if you add a rhino skin like this one -> http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoskin/prod.cfm?cat_id=9015&prod_id=9038 This is one nice idea since the skin spreads the point impact load out and the interior neoprene layer drops the G level.

Maybe this will help?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: More than a music player And what about a Rhinoskin?
by netsky / August 16, 2004 2:51 AM PDT

Yes, that Rhino skin thing helps make my point (grin) about the inherent shock susceptibility of HD players vs. flash memory players.

It seems to me that -storage capacity- is the only real thing going for 4 to 5 gig HD players because, can't the flash players also do the file transfer thing you mention?

I'm not really anti-HD player so much as exploring the rationale for these things.

It seems like today's manufacturing cost is the only thing, in essence that is, really going for ipod mini and rio carbon. They use off the shelf miniature hard drives in lieu of the currently more expensive ram.

In my modest opinion battery issues are another minus for the small capacity HD players compared against say the iriver flash players. $100 plus factory battery replacement after two or less years for the HD players, vs. a fifty cent penlight battery that may run the flash player for 40 hours. No contest there for me. Flashlight batteries are available on every street corner.

I see a battle of storage choices brewing before long, at least at this low end of the gigabite storage range.

Can anyone tell me if the iriver 890 256mB flash player has any problems. No,I don't expect the sleek interfacing that I'd get from an Apple HD player. Yet, I need an MP3 player and cannot be reined in to the iTunes service alone. For a first player this the iriver 890 is the one I'm leaning towards today. Or maybe just get it's less stylish and presently price discounted brother, the 790.

Collapse -
Ahh, Mp3 player...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 3:11 AM PDT

That alone knocks iPod off your list. It's not a MP3 player.

The iPod market share has made it possible to produce addons that sell well and turn a profit. It it wasn't for the iTunes only item, I'd have the iPod. For now I have some simple noname flash player that takes a memory stick or SDcard.

Bob

Collapse -
yes, a simple Mp3 player...
by netsky / August 16, 2004 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, Mp3 player...

I'm compact flash based becaue I have a digital camera using compact flash. Is there a "simple noname flash player" that accepts CF cards?

In lieu of that, where can I see your player advertised, if it is currently manufactured that is.

I've got a lot of antique phonograph records of various formats (cyls, disks) that I'd like to play into the iRiver's direct encoding microphone input.. for casual archiving of favorite antique tunes. How's that for an offbeat use of a flash player (grin)?

Collapse -
Re: yes, a simple Mp3 player...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 9:31 AM PDT

Keep shopping... I picked mine up from compgeeks.com They are a seller or clearance items, so don't expect stuff to be the usual or in production. But I love the bargains.

Bob

Collapse -
Wanted: Compound W for mp3 players
by netsky / August 18, 2004 4:04 AM PDT

grin or grimace: all the players I look at have some problem or issue or another.

Given that I'd like to use my existing CF cards, the Frontier Labs Nex 1A appears to be my best bet. And this player sans card lists at $69 at the Frontier Labs America page. However, it does not offer a line-in recording function, nor adjustable bit rate recording. Still, for the price... it has some nice features. And yes, some warts.

Very soon however, the upgraded Nex 1A Plus should be available; it has line in and direct encoding just like (?) the iriver ifp 7 and 8 hundred series, etc.

I've just online ordered the Nex 1A to get my feet wet. I like that I can load my CF card in the media reader of my new computer, then pop it into the Nex.

Perhaps, but not likely, I can use the 1A's built in mic to record in satisfactory quality the old, scratchy phono disks I'd like to put into the player direct from old wind up phonos. Well... whatever, I haven't got much invested here and the Nex -should- be easier to load and learn to use than say, the tiny iriver flash players.

Will report on this unit later. My luck with computer related stuff is abysmal: partly due to inexperise, part due to an amazing bad luck: very few computer things work for me the first time around. Conflicts, crashes, hardware failures. This was true in '96 when I bought a $$ high end Dell (three lost hard drives in six months) and it's true today with my new EMachines T3092: video board died, ethernet port defunct, various software conflicts and yadayadayada. IF the Nex works for me, why then, it will work for anyone! Grin, netsky.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!