Desktops forum

General discussion

Are Gaming Laptops a good Choice for Graphic Arts?

I am looking for portable desktop replacement notebook, for graphic design and Arts.

i have been looking at one mac notebook and two Gaming notebooks, the dell xps, the Alienware area51, and the Mac powerbook.
I have an Imac G3, and i am comfortable using both mac and PC. Money is not an issue cause i want a good machine, wieght is not a problem cause i can use the workout, and battery life is not a problem cause i will buy an extra battery and mostly use it pluged in.

that said, I have been looking at the Area-51 because it seems to have the most memory and two optical bays. it also has alot of customizing and seems to be a bit more upgradeable than most loptops.

so i am asking if a Gaming notebook which is for game graphics and such, is a good machine for Graphic Arts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are Gaming Laptops a good Choice for Graphic Arts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are Gaming Laptops a good Choice for Graphic Arts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Are Gaming Laptops a good Choice for Graphic Arts?

im interested on buying the m5700. it looks like a good laptop. really nice video card !besides the design is very very very sleek. im sorry i dont know if its any good for graphic work as a fact but my opinion is that its excellent for it

Collapse -
Dell xps M170

well i recommend the Dell XPS M170 because, eben though you dont mind about battery or travel, it is a top of the line processor and probably equivalent to a P4 3.2 in many ways.
it also comes with the best graphics card out at the moment (nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX) and 2048 Mb DDR2RAM.
it has all the nessesary ports and 100Gb 7200Rpm Hard Drive and all the extras like bluetooth.

The Dell XPS Gen 2 (the previous model of this machine) was tested against the best alienware machine and the Dell won.

Collapse -
I want to go with alienware because

In reply to: Dell xps M170

the customization. Their top-of-the-line, the Area51 m770 can have 3.8GHz Processor (desktop), 3GB of RAM (533Mhz), the GeForce 7800GTX, Dual Hard Drives (Totaling about 200GB of 7,200RPM), Dual Optical Drives, and lots of extras... It seems faster than the Dell. The only thing that worries me is the heat.. Hopefully, you may have a heat-resitant table around. No, I'm joking but these laptops CAN get rather hot and I've read laptops on laps are not the best idea for men....I'm not assuming are one, but I'm just saying.... Anways, to me the Alienware seems better.

Collapse -
You made a mistake

In reply to: I want to go with alienware because

You are talking about a dekstop and not a laptop.

Collapse -
Dell XPS

In reply to: Dell xps M170

How can I compare the Intel M processors to a P4 processor? I can not see any XPS notebooks at Dell with anything but the M processor and getting information from Dell is next to impossible. Based on this experience alone, Im very leery of even getting involved with Dell.

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: Dell XPS

If you get an XPS, you will get am exclusive number from Dell which well address your cusotmer needs. This goes for desktops and notebooks. If anything has an XPS you are allowed in this elitle group. Anyway the difference between the P4 and an M is that the M is a fast notebook processor. The M reduces size of a notebook and gives better battery life. With a P4 in a notebook, you get a large mammoth laptop, that overheats alot(it is a desktop processor)and you barely get any battery life. The P4 is basically a desktop processor in a notebook. Don't get a P4, you are better off with an M.

Collapse -
Pentium M Vs. Pentium 4

In reply to: Dell XPS

Pentium M's such as my XPS M170's 2.23Ghz processor is capable of clocking at about the equivelant of a P4 3.6Ghz processor, but it largely depends on the aplication. Obviously there's no Hyper Threading technology on the "M" series and the FSB maxes out at 533mhz. That's because the "M" has a Pentium 3 architecture. There are some really good articles on the net if you look closes that will give a more acurate technical description.

If you're buying a laptop forget about getting one with a P4. It is too hot and you'll get no battery life. If you think you don't need the battery, get a desktop.

Collapse -
Get a Dell or Toshiba

The new Dell I hear is supposed to a be a graphical pwoerhouase. Not that Alenware is bad, but I do think that the Dell XPS M140 or the Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513 are better choices. These are monsters that can do any graphics work you can throw at it and can play any game today. I would prfer the Toshiba Qosmio over the Dell XPS M140 because the Qosmio comes with a TV tuner so you can watch T.V. from your laptop, and overall it's a gigantic media center pc with a host of media center functions.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I misspell powerhouse in the first sentence. Sorry

In reply to: Get a Dell or Toshiba

Collapse -
Alienware

Another reason to go with an alienware is because i believe they offer workstation laptops that have special professional grade video cards, these cards have some more advanced features over their consumer grade brethren but unfurtunatly they are a lot more expensive.

Collapse -
alienware...

i've got an alienware 5100m that i've had for about a year and a half now. it has held up quite well to my rough use and is quite quick as far as graphics go. got the NVIDIA GeForce FX5700 128MB in it with a gig of ram and a 40GB 7200rpm drive. only problem i've had with it is i've burned too many cd's, screwing up the power calibration for burning. but it was A LOT of cd's, so i wouldn't expect this regularly. customer support was even pretty helpful, even though my warranty had already expired.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!