HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Are frozen string beans really cheaper from China? (to US)

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2007 11:34 PM PDT

The invasion of food products that you would never suspect may be in your local grocery. I do buy some frozen goods but was surprised when I found 'made in China' on the bags.

Back the produce aisle for me.

Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are frozen string beans really cheaper from China? (to US)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are frozen string beans really cheaper from China? (to US)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No mystery to me
by Willy / October 8, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

That's not all, many spices are now from China as well. Ever wonder why those spice containers for a $1 are around, that's because the origin of the spice is from China. I get "bulk spices" for our family business and found 25# bag of garlic from China. Whole black peeper too and didn't know until later. I use a 50gal. burn barrel that contained apple juice, had a shipping label from China. Its all too common to find from China replacing many items that no one thought of. I can't find a nut&bolt anymore than isn't from China. -----Willy

Collapse -
I became interested, and did....
by Angeline Booher / October 10, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: No mystery to me
Collapse -
You forgot
by PudgyOne / October 10, 2007 5:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
For sure
by Willy / October 10, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

Yes the "Far East" is a big supplier of spices. However, many are available elsewhere as in garlic and cloves grown in CA., makes its way to peoples tables, usually as whole garlic or cloves. I knew about cinnamon back when it was Ceylon, now Tamal or Sri Lanka?, and the best is plain flaky bark(practially falls apart). I have in my hands some "Crack-Up popping candy" for a co. in Brooklyn but a product of China. Man, if candy has to be made in China and I always thought of that food left on plate of those poor Chinese starving(remember that) ;). Sometimes, I'm happy just to see anything but "made in China" on the label. That's just me. -----Willy

Collapse -
(NT) Beware of lead. :)
by caktus / October 9, 2007 2:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) That's usually in the paints they use!
by PudgyOne / October 9, 2007 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Beware of lead. :)
Collapse -
(NT) Maybe their beans aren't naturally green...just painted.
by Steven Haninger / October 9, 2007 8:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Another controversy. :-)
by Angeline Booher / October 10, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

Are they green beans or string beans?

Most of us in my neck of the woods say "green", but not all.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
As well, they could be
by Steven Haninger / October 10, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

"snap" beans. Surely you've worked a batch of those. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Green beans with a snap and a string. :)
by caktus / October 10, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: As well, they could be
Collapse -
(NT) And also there are "bunch beans". :-)
by Angeline Booher / October 10, 2007 9:11 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.