Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Are cookies making a RAM low warning?

Windows XP -home edition service pack 2- 37.2G with 20G free--384 RAMS--grrr DIAL UP;-) --I have tried to search for this answer..I have seen opions on deleting cookies..I have never done it(in 4 yrs) but plan to. I do web site, transferring pics onto disc I got warning --low rams can't continue. I was told it could be due to cookies..which I have never cleaned out.. Since on dial up I try to keep a clean house..
Does that little thing where you can allow cookies to sites that you visit often work and then I can delete all cookies and not have to go back with passwords etc? Do cookies slow me down? I run visus scan daily..says I don't need to defrag..keep all else whistle clean..I think!?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are cookies making a RAM low warning?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are cookies making a RAM low warning?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
'low rams can't continue' Is NOT A Windows Message..

In reply to: Are cookies making a RAM low warning?

Please give us the EXACT error message you are receiving.

But...since the message you are receiving is probably related to computer memory usage (a resource type issue), it's not going to be a cookie issue..

Instead, memory (RAM and resources) are being used by programs that are running in the background.. Please try following the steps in the link below to eliminate unnecessary startup programs and services and to remove junk files from the computer.. It may take a while to perform all the steps but it should be worth the effort.

Cleanup Steps

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No no no and different...but

In reply to: 'low rams can't continue' Is NOT A Windows Message..

Grif, I followed link..and followed directions to "tmp" and "chk"..and got the error "Cannotdelete file Cannot read from the source file or disk.
So I have continued to read for the past hour..and

1.on my XP I have tmp files set to delete daily..and there was just a bit over a page when I pulled them up under "search" and I have been on-line and off line working about 5 hrs today. So?
2. I can delete cookies from task bar-tools-internet options..and there have choice to see cookies..view files and delete..(this is also where I set up to delete tmp files. In viewing I can make the choice of what cookies I delete(ie: the ones with passwords)
3.In all the reading I ran --under "RUN" the msconfig..and did find I had a couple things not necessary..now I only have 5 checked.

Also, the error I rec'd was on my HP photo..trying to put pics on ***..and I went out of the program, rebooted and never had it again. So that was one thing that prompted my concern.

Thanks for reply...I am off to read more..;-)

Collapse -
This is not a cookies issue

In reply to: No no no and different...but

Collapse -
'Cannot read from the source file or disk' Is Normally..

In reply to: No no no and different...but

...an issue where some .tmp files were being used/locked at the time of deletion or occasionally when they are stored on the computer and originally came from a removable disc.. Either way, on Windows XP, forget about the .chk files.. Leave them as they are.. Generally, there aren't many anyway.. In addition, instead of deleting the .tmp files in bulk, try deleting them one at a time or in small blocks.. You'll be able to remove most of them anyway.

But most importantly, as I stated earlier, cookies won't be causing the memory error. IF you've only seen the error one time with Photoshop, then don't worry.. Computers with minimal RAM will occasionally throw such errors when working with large files such as pictures...

Although starting in "msconfig" is a good thing, you didn't mention how many "Services" you stopped from running at startup.. That's a great way for freeing up some of the resources/memory on your machine.. Follow the instructions in the "How To Shut Down Unnecessary Startup Programs" link I provided earlier, specifically on the Black Viper XPsite, and adjust your services settings to those in the "Safe" column of the chart listed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The other thing is running Windows XP on less than

512MBs RAM is less than minimal .... 1GB is much better.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Security

Cookies shouldn't effect your RAM, but can effect security. you should delete them routinely, I recommend ccleaner (free app) @www.filehipp.com if your browsing RAM is limited I suggest using opera (has smallest foot print) also download @ filehippo.com good luck

Collapse -
low memory

Hi, I've never heard of cookies causing a low ram warning, this is usual cause by to many programs running in the back ground. you can go to microsofts web sight and find out how to turn off all those programs that you don't need, as far as cleaning up your cookies and system. Go to www.c-net.com\downloads and find Adaware this program is the best for cleaning out cookies and other spyware. My friends computer was real slow and he asked me to look at it. lots of trash I downloaded and ran adaware and it came up with 852 cookies and other spyware I would suggest you run the Adaware program, then run a disk clean up, Check for hard disk errors and then last but not least a good defrag all in that order you will gain lots of speed and get rid of that low ram problem let me know if you need help.

Tim
tregister2@comcast.net

Collapse -
Defrag it anyway!

Just because it tells you it doesn't need to be defragged, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, or that it won't help. Do it anyway, it will help!

Collapse -
startup programs

The easiest way I have found to disable unwanted startup programs is to download Windows Defender , free from Microsoft . Once it is installed and updated , you will see a tools tab at top , click it , then software explorer . It will tell you all running apps . On the ones you do not need all the time , ckick them 1 time , then on the right lower area , click disable . Simple as that . No restart needed and if later you want to enable it , follow the same steps and click enable ! Quicktime , Photoshops , or a lot of other programs that you do not use a lot , I always disable them . Keep in mind that just because they are disabled does not mean you will not be able to use them , it just means if you do use them , it will take a few more seconds for them to load . One last thing , If your system can use more ram , 384 is not to much , might consider upgrading to at least 512 , mike

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.