The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Are car manufacturers making a mistake...

by tberfa / August 4, 2006 1:31 AM PDT

...by jumping in this iPod audio integration market? I know it won't be standard equipment, but what will happen if a new player gains sufficient market share? Will the auto industry develop integrated audio systems for other models?

Molly, I understand what you're saying about iPod becoming sort of a monopoly, but that happened because Apple didn't have real competition in the beginning and now we're flooded with accessories for the iPod. Also, why would companies invest in making accessories for products that simply aren't popular?

I don't have an iPod, and probably will never get one because I don't like following the herd. I'm going to wait and see what the Zune has to offer. If I don't like the Zune, then I may get a Toshiba Gigabeat S or something.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are car manufacturers making a mistake...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are car manufacturers making a mistake...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no worries
by gamegeek90 / August 4, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

Once the iPod is accepted as the de facto standard, Apple will start licensing the right to use the hardware interface as well as Fairplay DRM for other music stores and players.

This will happen once antitrust litigation against Apple starts in the US.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds Anti-competitive to me...
by netmasta / August 4, 2006 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: no worries
Collapse -
on what grounds??!
by robstak / August 4, 2006 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: no worries

how would a suit be filed against them??? They hae a product that everyone just wanted. there is pleeeenty of competition out there. the people have spoken.

Collapse -
Yeah stupid....
by dro0001 / August 4, 2006 2:54 AM PDT

Yup another stupid move by the automakers. Just give us a darn headphone jack on the stereo, then we can plug ANY mp3 player into the car. I can buy the $15 car charger for it! Idiots.

Collapse -
Were you...
by techbrute / August 4, 2006 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah stupid....

the guy who thought it was cool to have your CD walkman plugged into your tape player via the cassette adapter? Personally, I prefer to utilize the steering wheel controls and high up dash displays that integrate with my car. I also don't want some ******** looking cupholder thing that is supposed to hold my player or some ugly gooseneck thing. I want to plug it in, stow it in the glovebox (since I don't wear gloves) or a console.

You enjoy your $15 car charger. I'll enjoy my properly integrated music player. Wink

Collapse -
Yes that was me!!
by dro0001 / August 5, 2006 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Were you...

Of course that was me. If they could think of a way to do with without making me buy an iPod, I'd be all for it. However, they are now basically saying "Buy an iPod and it will integrate with your car, or screw you". That is stupid. Oh and these mp3 players are SO big and take up SO much room that I really need to hide it out of the way. They will all have bluetooth or wireless controls soon anyway, why do I need to spend $200 on an option to attach only one type of player into my car when they can add an AUX input for 50 cents and I can use any player....or even my old CD player.

Collapse -
Molly had it right...
by techbrute / August 4, 2006 3:03 AM PDT

on the 8/3 podcast when she said that the integration and accessory factors are major considerations for purchasing. That is the sole reason that I bought an iPod, so it will work with my car and all the other iPod-centric gear for your home. I have a DLO dock that displays the iPod controls on my TV and plays it through my stereo, I have the Klipsch sounddock in the kitchen, and no other players offered anything similar. The best they could come up with is to plug stuff in to the mini-jack and use the controls on the player.

Collapse -
People just don't get it....
by shantanubala / August 4, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

Apple had a LOT of competition. MP3 players existed a few years before Apple came into the market. The iPod really was the ONLY mp3 player that literally ANYONE could use. Putting a stereo jack in a car is not as cool as actually fully supporting an iPod in the car. Face it, it's going to be a long time until some other player gains market share. The iPod literally wiped the floor. Those cars are for people with iPods. Since there is a growing amount of people with iPods, and being with the "hip" trend, the car manufacturers look at it as money to be made. It's not like EVERY car has the feature, and if you don't have the iPod, then tough luck. iPods are "in" so car manufacturers want their cars to be "in" too. Why not? It's not like I'd fork over extra cash for that feature... But no harm, no foul... Right?

-Shantanu

Collapse -
I said REAL competition
by tberfa / August 4, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

Shantanu, I agree with you, but I'm talking about the iPod not having REAL competition when it came out. Had the Zen, iRiver (where's my 20GB Clix?) or the Gigabeat been out around the same time as the iPod, I bet you things would have been different.

In any case, props to Apple for hitting the ball out of the park on their first round at bat.

Collapse -
Wait....
by shantanubala / August 4, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

Isn't that just because Apple was the first one to REALLY innovate? I can only see the lemmings jumping off the cliff.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
Like I said, props to Apple...
by tberfa / August 4, 2006 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait....

...for hitting the ball out of the park on their first try.

Collapse -
Don't rewrite history - Apple's competition was there first
by MacHugger / August 4, 2006 6:59 PM PDT

They just sucked. Seriously. I remember seeing MP3 players long before the iPod came out. What made the ipod blow up was the really cool style, the intuitive touch wheel and menu for finding your way through a huge catalogue of songs and then the no-brainer interface with the music library on your computer.

Before the iPod, MP3s were the domain of music hacking download boys who knew how to get and use the crap from sites like Napster and Limewire or rip it from their Music CDs. Apple made it easy for the casual computer user. Plug and play - a concept the PC world still stumbles over to this day. Oh it occasionally works... occasionally.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
kevin's right
by robstak / August 5, 2006 1:32 AM PDT

plus they were a status symbol.

I think I'd agree w/ the other people on this thread, however, that they are so ubiquitous now, that they've kinda lost their association with status. The whole "white earphones" thing has come and gone. But it was cool for awhile when I got my first 3G Wink

Collapse -
Well...
by awinn233 / August 4, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

All the cars that I've seen have an optional AUX IN jack if they have an optional iPod connector.

Collapse -
I dont understand!
by harrietj / August 4, 2006 3:17 AM PDT

I simply cannot understand how we have so many experts on the show, starting with Molly, and on this board constantly complaints about Microsoft, Apple, Telcos, big business, money, capitalism, etc, etc

(if you have any doubt just replay the Wednesday show)

?They just don?t get it? is the most popular phrase here.

If all of you are such experts on making money, why are you here complaining instead of out there making some serious money? If Molly is such a maven in what consumers want and don?t want, why is her name not on the Forbes List?

Collapse -
Why are you complaining about us complaining?
by tberfa / August 4, 2006 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I dont understand!

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm happy with the money I make. Why are you complaining about us complaining?

Collapse -
We have more fun stuff to talk about
by harrietj / August 4, 2006 3:58 AM PDT

Im just saying that the complaints should not be 100 % of what we talk about.

How about this, when your cable company, or the people who sold you whatever computer you're using, give you great customer service, lets give them kudos.

I will start... I have Bell South DSL and it works great. I have not had a problem for over 2 years. (and no, I dont work for bellsouth!)

Thanks for the Idea, Im going to start a new thread so that people can say what is good about tech companies

Collapse -
Well said, well said
by cardsbb9 / August 5, 2006 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I dont understand!

I'd like an answer to this one on the podcast.

If TMV know so, so much about how the consumer should be treated and how to make a non-evil company then....

#1 how come they aren't out there providing us a music download model that does not promote piracy yet does not use DRM

#2 how come they aren't out there making hot cool new products (as cool as the iPod but as ubiquitous as the PC)

#3 how come C|Net is the subject of a stock option investigation

???

Collapse -
success =/= monopoly. missing the pt completely.
by robstak / August 4, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

this is so annoying.

The people chose the ipod. As a result of the popularity 3rd party cos including the automotive industry saw this as an opportunity to profit. again, noone was coerced or forced to do this. this is capitalism, ppl.

re: proprietary apple stuff. i think apple has the right to do whatever they want with their property, their technology, their succesful music delivery system. if you dont like it, buy something else; that's the freedome of choice ppl...

..."but wait, then I won't have all these cool accessories." TOO BAD, weigh it in your decision. Your peers chose the ipod to be the most popular and in doing that, they screwed you non-ipod ppl out of getting to have cool accessories.

We chose it, now we deal with it. Apple did nothing wrong, and this most certainly does not fit the definition of a monopoly.

-ktms

Collapse -
And we thought cell phones are dangerous
by mdstout58 / August 4, 2006 12:54 PM PDT

and who needs the song being displayed in the dashboard while driving?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Better than having to pick up the player.....
by shantanubala / August 4, 2006 12:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
Had to laugh
by MacHugger / August 4, 2006 6:52 PM PDT

"I don't have an iPod, and probably will never get one because I don't like following the herd. "
-------------

And yet you own a PC and run Windows XP.... mooo...

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Well, PCs and Microsoft allow me to...
by tberfa / August 5, 2006 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Had to laugh

...build my own computer for less than an Apple computer and play a lot of great games. It just makes sense for me to have a PC.

Collapse -
And it Makes Sense
by pkscout / August 5, 2006 9:41 PM PDT

And an Apple iPod allows me to play more music my way and has lots and lots of really great accessories. It just makes sense for me to own an iPod.

See how the logic works both ways?

Collapse -
Not really...
by mdstout58 / August 5, 2006 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Had to laugh

People can use the Zen Vision:M to use 85% of music/video. the iPod. However, you CANNOT run OS X or Linux and use 85% the apps and games that are produced.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very Good observation
by cardsbb9 / August 5, 2006 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really...
Collapse -
Remember that 1984 commercial?
by DROrr / August 5, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

Do you guys remember that 1984 commercial. Basically it said that people who used the intel/Microsoft combo (later known as wintel) were mindless automatons. Apple users were the cool, hip, free thinking bunch.

Flash forward 22 years.

Windows users are constantly criticizing, questioning Microsoft, we hack our systems, ad all kind of weird third party solutions and hardware. Always questioning Authority.

Apple users have become , let?s just say, rather militant bunch, with their adoration to the all powerful big brother (Steve J) . They won?t share their precious ipod technology with anybody. And they flame anybody who dares question them on the forums.

Oh, by the way, they put out those annoying commercials making fun of the nerdy guy.

Weren?t we all nerds at one point in our lives.

FLAME ON !!!!

Juan,
South Florida

Collapse -
Are you talking about the oldish hammer-throwing woman?
by cardsbb9 / August 5, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

If you are talking about the 1984 superbowl comercial where a blond woman threw a hammer into a 'mind control' screen.....

The competition wasn't 'wintel' that they were shooting at, the competition was IBM Mainframe.

Sheesh! Have we already forgotten what the microcomputer revolution was about?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.