Question

Are AVG and Malwarebytes (free) enough for Dell laptop?

He has an older like 2007 Dell laptop inspiron 1501 that I just had a new hard drive put in because believe it or not the one that came with the computer was like a 160GB!! So we only put in like a 320GB which sounds so funny because mine has like 2TB's... Anyways, he is mentally slow and has very little money, so I said that he should look into the free offerings? I kind of do not want to put a lot of money into this laptop as I was an idiot and bought it from QVC in 07 for $1700.00!! I know I did not even look at the hard drive or anything else!! So after he get a virus because he let the security suite coverage lapse, I got if fixed with new hard drive and decided I am not going to put more into it!! Hopefully the free offerings will help, I just need to know what are all the ones he needs and is it enough? Also do these things cover all the files he will use? He is currently enrolled in a local C.C. taking a simple math class- which is a miracle for him! Any ideas or help in which direction to go would be great!! Like I said 2x now it is on the cheap!!

Another problem is he thinks the StopZilla will help him? I say no!! What are your respones?

Thank you and I love this forum!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Are AVG and Malwarebytes (free) enough for Dell laptop?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Are AVG and Malwarebytes (free) enough for Dell laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No. Here's why.

Most of today's attacks are not stopped by either of those or many others. Folks continue to install malware and these either don't stop the USER from installing such or the MALWARE tells the user to turn such off during install.

The user complies and the malware installs.

-> This is why it's more up to the users to avoid the infections than the antivirus and scanners.

These are ok selections for the usual old pests so go ahead but remember that one can't rely on such to stop the flood.
Bob

- Collapse -
Got it!! Just as I thought!

Yep! I was just trying to be lazy and get away with not being involved!! I guess the real answer is I am going to have to hound him and keep my eyes on what he is downloading onto the HD! He is real into all these conspiracy websites and other wierd and border line illegal sites that offer entertainment if you know what I mean! I do not approve and I will have to set up new limits and make sure he scans before downloading. He's always yelling out that someone is trying to allow a program to run? I will have to be vigilant and check out all these things, however I guess the reality is that I will never be there all the time for him! He is 26 and he has the ability of about a 16 yr old. So thank you and I kind of knew it but sometimes a person needs that kick in the rear to get it movin.

Thank you!

- Collapse -
That HELPED. Install this!!!

Google up WOT (World Of Trust)

This add-in can really help, if one heeds the warnings.
Bob

CNET Forums