Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Are all win xp updates safe to install?

by bently / April 4, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

I a getting ready to do a destructive reformat on C drive and re-install win xp home with SP2 using win xp disk..

A while back I read that some of the XP updates were NOT advisable to install.

I do not use MSIE at all.

QUESTION... After I reformat and install win xp, is there any updates that I should REFUSE?

Thanks

Ben

p.s.
any guesstimate for release date of the final version of sp3 for win xp?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are all win xp updates safe to install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are all win xp updates safe to install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just any that are "drivers"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

I've never had an issue with the others.

Collapse -
Generally
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2008 2:47 AM PDT

Generally, yes, they are safe to install. Every now and then there will be unexpected interactions with things like HP printer drivers, but if you haven't experienced any problems with updates thus far, I wouldn't worry about it.

And I think SP3 is due out in 2-3 months... So, it's up to you if you want to just try limping along until then or if you want to keep going.

Finally, while it is inadvisable to use IE for any extended period of time, I would still install IE7. I don't think you have a choice in the matter any longer as a matter of fact. IE7 marks the start of a turning point at Microsoft with regards to IE. More emphasis on security and standards support. It's only a small step in what will be a very long journey for Microsoft, assuming they don't get distracted along the way, but it's a step in the right direction none the less. So, for those rare times when you may need to use IE for something, it's always best to have the safest one available installed. Just be sure you're using Firefox, Opera, or one of the other non-IE browsers for everything but those rare sites that absolutely will not work with anything else.

Collapse -
reply to: Generally
by caktus / April 4, 2008 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Generally

I have found that when IE7 [replaces] IE6, that in some cases 7 can be rather buggy. But I have never seen a problem with a pre-installed IE7.

I think twice in eight years or so I have gotten a bad update from MS. One had something to do with audio and the other to do with graphics. I recall there being thousands of complaints, so MS may have fixed them, and they may even have since been added to cumulative updates.

I have found that generally a good rule of thumb is to not accept non-critical updates for something that is already working as it should.

Charlie

Collapse -
SP-3 is available. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2008 7:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's a pre-release
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2008 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: SP-3 is available. . .

That's a pre-release of SP3, not the final version. It's still subject to change between now and the official release. I also don't know that Microsoft has any plans to include a migration path for people who installed the pre-release versions.

Collapse -
Pre-release? Yep.
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2008 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a pre-release

I installed it on my IBM test bed. Ran it for a few days, then installed it on the others. I really don't look for any other changes to be added. When It's finally rleased I'll uninstall it on my test bed and install the final version. If all goes well, I'll do it to the rest.

Collapse -
Thanks to all... As usual,
by bently / April 6, 2008 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Pre-release? Yep.

great help from a great bunch of guys.

I did suspect if any update was bad that it would have been fixed.

Thanks again.

Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.