Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

are all file sharing programs spyware?

by baddawgg / January 30, 2007 10:53 PM PST

It seems the latest trend is for antispyware programs to identify file sharing programs as spyware. Do they actually send information about you over the Internet without your knowledge?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: are all file sharing programs spyware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: are all file sharing programs spyware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to write yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 11:22 PM PST

Almost any P2P program is going to have to broadcast "I have this file" and "I'm at this address, call me."

So there you go. It could be written that all P2P is spyware. But then again once I tell you what it does, is it spyware?

Bob

Collapse -
Use Torrent software
by skycatcher / February 1, 2007 7:59 PM PST

If you use a program that downloads Torrents, and you also run a good firewall (one that guards incoming and outgoing traffic - some only block incoming) you should be OK. I use BitComet, which does have the habit of taking over all my Internet for some reason, but I've never had a problem with Spyware. I do use Outpost firewall, which asks if you want outgoing traffic to take place and I've also shut down all ports that I don't want open.

Torrents can be a pain because you can often get to the stage where you have 98% of the download and can't get the rest because everyone else also only has 98% - the original Seeder of the file is no longer online. Most of the time you can't use any of your download unless you have 100% of it.

If you go to http://wwww.download.com to choose P2P software, read all the reviews carefully and they will guide you to any Spyware problems.

Collapse -
Even if there are some that are not...
by peterCIS / February 1, 2007 8:30 PM PST

I work on a different person's PC on an adverage of one per week. If I see a P2P program I don't even bother checking for viruses and Spyware, they are there. I have never seen a PC that used P2P that was not infected. Even if the P2P software is clean - if there such a thing, the files users share are not.

Collapse -
I use Limewire...
by Numberica / February 2, 2007 7:05 AM PST

And I the system is clean as a whistle. So, not true. However, it should be noted that p2p's are a gateway for malware for those not savvy with security.

I run Zone Alarm FW, Avast Home AV, Spyware Blaster, Spybot, and Ad-Aware.

Collapse -
Limewire
by Ed-duh-win / February 3, 2007 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: I use Limewire...

I once ran Limewire and downloaded a file mistaking it as the genuine one - wrong! I got infected with some trojan and had to restore my PC. This was a year ago but it still stands today. Its not the software that brings you spyware, its what you download and what you do. That's my tip for everyone.

As a note, I now run BitComet and its been clean for me in the last half a year I ran this.

Collapse -
It's the nature of the beast
by Bwin666 / February 3, 2007 3:47 PM PST

P2P programs most always have some sort of spy/mal/adware attached with them, but as long as you have a decent anti virus program or two, you should be fine.

Collapse -
Had original Napster, then WinMX, but no more.
by DarCLew2 / February 3, 2007 7:12 PM PST

The latter is coming back with the claim it is clean. I read that at download.com - the last one left me with only 16 bonzai-buddies. As you can see where Napster is now for they woke up to reality. As for the others, you may be downloading copyrighted material with the bonus of spyware, trojans & viruses. Plus the bonus if caught, you may lose your computer, fined or get jailed. Remember that the others are looking at your downloads, like government agencies, etc.
Do you honesty believe that your activities are not noticed? P2P means others have access to you also. Darrell

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.