Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Arctic blast brings in winter

by Willy / December 21, 2008 1:07 PM PST

If you're living in the Midwest, winter(1st day of winter, too) has come big time. Not to say other parts of the country don't have winter yet, but compared to yrs. past here, winter made it's presence known. The recent arctic blast has played havoc in our area. Ice and snow abound and cold just gripped the area and caused power outages. I've experienced at least 10-15 today 12/21 anywhere from 1min. to 2hrs. long at least when I was home. Let's just say, adding logs to the fireplace is a welcomed sight. It has been far different from yrs. past. I dragged out the bibs and overalls more than once for prolonged bouts in the weather.

I wish anyone also experiencing this is doing well and getting by. Psst, the cat doesn't want to go outside neither. Happy -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Arctic blast brings in winter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Arctic blast brings in winter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In my neck of the woods
by JP Bill / December 21, 2008 1:19 PM PST

Snow at times heavy and blowing snow beginning this evening. Amount 15 to 25 cm. Wind east 40 km/h gusting to 60 increasing to 60 gusting to 90 this evening then becoming southwest 60 gusting to 100 except gusting to 120 along the coast overnight. Temperature rising to zero by morning.

about your cat going outside.....Smart cat...

Collapse -
Remember Heinlein's Door into Summer
by Diana Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 9:01 AM PST

The cat would go to each door trying to find the door into summer but they all have snow. Wink

Diana

Collapse -
Door Into Summer....
by EdHannigan / December 22, 2008 9:41 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I'd bypass Dyanetics.
by James Denison / December 23, 2008 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Door Into Summer....
Collapse -
I don't think Heinlein had anything to do with Dianetics...
by EdHannigan / December 23, 2008 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: I'd bypass Dyanetics.
Collapse -
thank you
by James Denison / December 23, 2008 11:07 AM PST

that's the two guys I was getting confused with each other for some reason.

Collapse -
Smart cat
by Steven Haninger / December 21, 2008 6:17 PM PST

Woke up to 0 degrees this AM that is supposed to warm up into the 30s by Christmas day and maybe the 50s with thunderstorm on Friday. I don't see much snow in the forecast though. I loved winter as a kid and the cold never bothered me. Now that I need to be out driving through a large part of the state in my work, I'm a bit more weather shy and empathize with your cat.....if it is yours, BTW, and you aren't its adopted housemate. Happy

Collapse -
My brother lives near Detroit, and he had
by drpruner / December 22, 2008 5:25 AM PST

+2 degrees when I talked to him last night. Good news is he has been making money with snow shoveling.
My dad lives in the Thumb and has more snow, but he's house-ridden these days, so he doesn't care! Does make it harder for the kids to check in on him, though.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / December 22, 2008 5:35 AM PST

A couple of days ago when there was only a few inches of snow on the ground, I saw my neighbours advertising flyers laying in their driveways, wondered where my were.

Found them today, when the frozen flyers broke the shear pin in my snowthrower.

One of my family got a new snowthrower for Christmas, he can't wait for a snowstorm........I can wait...... forever

Collapse -
(NT) Amazing story. Bet you're thankful for shear pins.
by drpruner / December 22, 2008 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
(NT) BTW I'll remind my brother to carry spare pins. Thanks.
by drpruner / December 22, 2008 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
Fist time I broke one.
by JP Bill / December 22, 2008 6:48 AM PST

When I bought the snowthrower 4/5 years ago they sent some with it. Usually I know I have something but I can't find it. This time I could/did, and it only took 2 minutes to find. Happy

Collapse -
Good you found it so soon!
by Paul C / December 22, 2008 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Fist time I broke one.

I once destroyed a lawn mower engine by hitting a hidden stump while mowing an unfamiliar plot of grass because mowers do not and cannot have shear pins.

That little adventure cost me $150 for a new engine and some 6 hours of my time in swapping out the engine...

Collapse -
My 2 cars in Mich.
by Willy / December 23, 2008 12:03 AM PST

When I lived in Mich. I had 2 cars. One for winter and other for summer or anything but winter. I'm not the only one that did this for what it costed to have that winter car. The car ran well(good mechs.) but was rusted as all get out but had the best tires for winters and a good heater, provided the holes were ragged-up. If I wrecked or got stuck too far into the field, it sat for awhile. Of course, if roads were too bad, no driving. But, just going to the neighborhood grocery, etc. It does make for a practical alternative to buying a Jeep or fancy p/u before SUV's became common. Then again, I've seen Jeeps being pulled out by a tractor in the backroads, they thought they could plow through 2ft.(or more) constantly. Ahhh, the good days when a car costed a few bucks. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
And it's rough here in NM, too,
by drpruner / December 23, 2008 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: My 2 cars in Mich.

don't forget. Down to 30F at nights, no higher than 60F days, no snow ... It's rough, I tell ya.

Collapse -
I'm pouting in 15 degrees right now!
by James Denison / December 22, 2008 5:41 PM PST

Here, in Maryland, two days before Christmas. Santa promised me global warming and I don't see it under my tree!!!!

Collapse -
Maybe you're on the wrong place.
by Kees Bakker / December 22, 2008 5:45 PM PST

I'm sure it's warmer down under.

Global warming, of course, doesn't exclude temporary local cooling. Bad luck if you're at the wrong place at the wrong moment.

But I find a White Christmas nothing to really complain about.

Kees

Collapse -
Minus 13 this morning....
by EdHannigan / December 22, 2008 9:31 PM PST

might "warm up" to the 20s this afternoon.

Collapse -
ye gods! that's -25C
by jonah jones / December 23, 2008 2:28 AM PST

you moved to the north pole?

if we see -1C that's cold enough to scream "ICE AGE!!!!!!!!"

Collapse -
Temps like that are not all that uncommom for New Hampshire.
by EdHannigan / December 23, 2008 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: ye gods! that's -25C

at night especially.

Not too bad right now and tomorrow will be in the 40s! Positively balmy!

Collapse -
Don't you guys have the
by drpruner / December 23, 2008 7:06 AM PST

[in]famous Mt. Washington?

Sorry for your loss, BTW. The Old Man, I mean. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, it gets a little chilly on Mt Washington.
by EdHannigan / December 23, 2008 11:12 AM PST

The Old Man is not gone...he's just lower and a little more spread out, like all of us.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Collapse -
(NT) (Note to SE: Don't get Ed started!) :-)
by drpruner / December 23, 2008 12:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Jeez!
by EdHannigan / December 23, 2008 8:02 PM PST

Okay. I won't ModAlert that.

Merry Christmas.

Collapse -
re The Old Man
by Roger NC / December 23, 2008 10:18 PM PST

He fell just before we arrived to see him.

My wife and I were travelling up to visit her brother in New Hampshire for a week. We actually left on Saturday morning, hearing the news on the way.

"missed it by that much" as Maxwell Smart use to say.

Roger

Collapse -
... and with Max it usually involved a falling mountain
by drpruner / January 3, 2009 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: re The Old Man

or some such. Happy

Collapse -
Cat update
by Willy / December 23, 2008 12:12 AM PST

Cat went out for awhile 30 mins. or less, though it did breeze by me when I opened the door. Cat gets antsy and attacks my towels and jumps everywhere until the burnout phase hits. Last yr. sister got a pet bed for cat and placed on floor, wouldn't sleep in it. Now, that winter is here, placed on top of dresser and storage box, makes home for cat. Until, fireplace is started then lies behind for "warm bed" on floor. I wish I could snuggle that close to the fireplace. Happy Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.... -----Willy

Collapse -
Your cat has
by Angeline Booher / December 23, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Cat update

...... "sense and sensibility". Happy

Got a feeling it knows it hit the jackpot by living in your household.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, and wishes for a blesssed 2009!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?