Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos Gmini 402.

by b1rd / April 2, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

This is a slightly old product, released end of November 05, but I still hear it owns the Ipod Video. I was thinking of purchasing this item over the Sandisk E200, because they are ******** with their released date and I think I'd like to watch more video on my device.

So any thoughts, opinions or mini reviews?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos Gmini 402.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos Gmini 402.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Archos Gmini 402
by PMR / April 2, 2006 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Archos Gmini 402.

I have the Archos Gmini 402 CamCorder. I got it for around $260 with rebate. The cam wasn't the reason for me getting it, it was just a good extra. The videos playback good however this really is a ''Personal'' video player. It has bad viewing angles. The music sounds pretty good and the headphones that come with it are decent. The games are plain and simple, but fun. Since I do take a lot of pictures on vacations and the USB Host feature is great.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Collapse -
help me
by mmasurf / April 22, 2006 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Archos Gmini 402

I own a Gmini 402 and i just bought it yesterday. I wanted to put on a movie today since im going on a road trip tomorrow. To convert my avi to mpeg4 i used the mpeg4 translator and it didnt work. Then i tried the IMtoo video converter to change avi to wmv9 and it didnt work. And then i just tried avi and didnt work. i tried some other programs and they also didnt work. Then it came up to the digital media converter 2.6 and it worked,but when i played it on the gmini in the middle of the middle it said must register the product. So i found a serial and it worked and then i tried doing it again so the error wouldnt come up. And then when im picking the file to convert ,windows makes it shut down cuz of an error. I have literally given up on video. So can anyone help me find a good converter or help me out with what i have in another way by tomorrow morning. Avi/Divx work but only on some movies,like i have king kong,date movie and eight below and king kong worked only.
please help me.

Collapse -
by rustal21 / April 3, 2006 6:36 AM PDT

i also have the 402 camcorder and i really like it.
buy it

Collapse -
Archos 402 camcorder
by DeadMetalHead / April 3, 2006 7:29 AM PDT

I purchased the camcorder a while ago for about 260 also. This is an awesome product, my friends are jelous because they like the 402 more than their ipod. There are a few things to get used to like encoding video and associating album art with the song, but if you buy the 402c ill help you out. Also www.archopen.org has plenty of people working on crack for gameboy emulators and doom emulators, Im currently waiting for them to get the crack on the 1.3 firmware. The battery life seems short but it fully charges in about 2 1/2 hours for 10 hours of music, 4 for video, and 2 for recording video. The battery life isent as short as you would think. Also the 402c is very sturdy, made with hard metal. If your looking to purchase one go to www.CompUplus.com they sell it for $300 and a $40 dollar rebate, also you can buy an extended 3 year warrenty for only $13 bucks. Goodluck with your search.

Collapse -
Hmm..
by b1rd / April 4, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

I was actually thinking of Archos Gmini W/O Camcorder. Is it easy to watch video on the screen? Would you watch a movie on it?

If the music navigation easy to use?

Is it easily scratchable? & Is it ugly?

Collapse -
Movies
by DeadMetalHead / April 4, 2006 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm..

they look very nice on it, i watch movies, i have how high, starwars3, and some music videos. So far the screen doesent scratch very easyly but i would recommend a screen protector.

Collapse -
video to Arxhos 402
by Kingboone / August 19, 2006 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Movies

I have not been able to transfer a movie from my computer to my Archos 402 camcorder. My movies open up in a DVD player other than Media Player

Collapse -
don't worry gmini402 is a great pvp
by DrNick664 / April 6, 2006 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm..

not its not "ugly" i like the way it looks and its not that bad watching movies on it. the only bad thing about it in my opinion is that is has poor battery life(but still better then ipod for videos) and a non user removable battery.

Collapse -
You can change battery..
by DeadMetalHead / April 8, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

On gmini400.com or archopen.org they show you how to change battery, they have cracks to play gameboy games and more on it, they have links for video converting tools, picture tools, dvd ripping tools, and more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?