Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos 605, Creative zen vision W, Ipod Touch,best images.

im going to buy a PMP but i dont konw who is the best machine in screen quality display. I konw the archos 605 has the best resolution (800x480 pixels), second IPOD touch (640x480 pixels), and third the zen vision (480 x 272). This is theory. I have seen some demos of the screens displaying images, videos, and I notice the Archos is not as sharp as ipod touch or zen vision W. This is really true or in fact the archos has the best images and videos. Please help me. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 605, Creative zen vision W, Ipod Touch,best images.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 605, Creative zen vision W, Ipod Touch,best images.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well it never looks good looking at a screen on a video

In reply to: Archos 605, Creative zen vision W, Ipod Touch,best images.

first you got some specs wrong
the Touch is HVGA or 480x320 (so technically on a widescreen movie it will look the same as the Vision W with larger letter boxes)
The Touch also has the glass screen that help colors stand out (also on comparison videos)
the Touch and Vision W also have 262,000 colors (18-bit)
the Archos players have 16.7 million colors (24-bit)
I've seen a review (can't recall where) the guy has both the Touch and 605 and said while the Touch's screen looks brighter the 605's colors were more natural

Collapse -
understood.

In reply to: well it never looks good looking at a screen on a video

very interesting pal. then your personal advice is to buy an archos 605??? (keeping in mind the number of colors displayed -16.000.000!!!-)there is no comparison in the number of colors and resolution of the screen. Thanks, in my country (venezuela) i cant test any of these devices without buying them at buyer?s risk. So i?m looking for examples, advices of people who already know these PMP?s in order to make the best choice. if you wanna add another advice it gonna be welcome. Thanks

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: understood.

some people gripe that the 605 is too big but it's actually smaller on all sides than the Vision W so as long as size is not an issue you should be happy with it. About the sharpness you talked about, it might be because the content you saw wasn't really high-res. Technically not even a full quality DVD takes advantage of all the pixels. You can really tell how sharp the screen is when web browsing because you get a rather decent viewing range for such a small device.

Collapse -
good point men.

In reply to: yes

of course, not all the videos uses the maximun capacity of the screen, i can see this better, good point. this is a portable media player, in any review there is no comment about the sound?s quality, is?t gonna be better, equal o worse than ipod o creative??

in one review i read that the right buttons seems some kinda unstable or fragile, no suitable for continued or semi-strong pressing, instead the zen video W buttons. is that true??

by the way the big size is no problem...since some years ago i used a CD music player, really bulky men hahaha.

Collapse -
buttons

In reply to: good point men.

the Vision W uses your standard set of buttons, the 605 is different, it has these two way buttons that click on their side, so it might seem fragile, I suppose would be easier to break if you dropped it without a case
you can also use the touchscreen for nagivation if you don't like the buttons
Audio quality would be fine, in-line with your standard Zen or iPod players, though of course the uilt-in speaker wouldn't be as great as using headphones

Collapse -
ultimate pvp !

In reply to: Archos 605, Creative zen vision W, Ipod Touch,best images.

archos 605 wifi 160gb all the way !!!
which is funny because im normally a
creative fan !BUT !if all you want is screen quality
and sound quality then go creative !
but if u want the whole shabang go archos !

but never go ipod !!! lol sry ipod fans

Collapse -
is creative better than archos in screen??

In reply to: ultimate pvp !

have you ever seen the screens of them? well, seeing the specs anyone can suppose the archo?s screen is better, more resolution and MORE colours can be displayed! 16.000.000 colours...since i cant test them both side by side, i cant tell you who is better, but i guess archos is better, i dont know man. How about the speakers? who is better and louder? creative or archos? thanks

Collapse -
i own the 605 and vision w

In reply to: is creative better than archos in screen??

to tell you the truth, i think they all have good screens, ill start with the 605 vs. the vision: i got my vision first, i thought it was the coolest ever, but i started to notice that i could see the pixels, and that the screen res. was just not that good, but the brightness was great. the 605, which i own, has the best screen, ever, it doesnt look as natural and as the touch (slightly washed out) but it is sooo crisp. i wouldnt buy the vision.

you can also think of it this way, you could buy a great use full mp3 player with a ton of memory and features (internet is much better than the ipod, dvr is useful) or buy a flashy small ipod, ( TIP i use yahoo music, cheap)

Collapse -
thanks, just the thing im looking for..a owner.

In reply to: i own the 605 and vision w

so i understand the archos is not as bright as zen or as real as touch,despite that is the best image, right?. sometimes the best image is not the most brilliant. how about the colour balance? it has (archos 605) vivid colours?? Can you say me anything about the speakers? thanks a lot pal.
from Merida, Venezuela.

Collapse -
colors

In reply to: thanks, just the thing im looking for..a owner.

It's not as bright as the Vision because of the touchscreen layer
and I still think the Archos has more natural colors, I guess it can be opinionated based on the content you see

Collapse -
got it

In reply to: colors

after seeing that you guys told and advice me, i am going to buy an archos, it has not the super best image brightness,but in what place i can find 160GB plus WI-FI plus TOUCHSCREEN?? of course, no device is the best in every feature it shows, i can see that.

now a question: there will be a way to obtain the plug-in for the web browser (opera browser) instead from archos.com???

Collapse -
technically no

In reply to: got it

it's always from Archos's site no matter what country
if you have WiFi connection on the devices though you should be able to purchase the plug-in and directly download it to the device

Collapse -
i think is there is a problem....

In reply to: technically no

i checked the archos web page and there is NO support por the plug-in for my country (venezuela) neither latin america. There is support for the other two plug-ins. Thats the reason of my question.

Collapse -
global page

In reply to: i think is there is a problem....

Collapse -
Archos Battery

In reply to: global page

I've read from some reviews that Archos 605 has better features than Creative Zen Vision W, except that the video and audio of Creative Zen is better. But some review say that Archos battery life don't last long just 3 hours, If you use it in video. And Archos battery is internal, it's not portable. So which is really better?

Collapse -
go to the c|net review

In reply to: Archos Battery

they have battery drain tests
and I don't know what you mean by "battery is internal, it's not portable"
audio on most PVPs are pretty good overall, some might find the 605's volume to not go as high as they want though.
Also the Vision W comes with better headphones, so overall, if you use good headphones, they should sound the same
Video wise, the Vision W has a lower resolution, 480x272 compared to the 605's 800x480, but the picture might seem a little better because it doesn't have the touch screen layer making the colors a bit more vivid.
I would tell you to also look at the older 604 because it's really affordable now, and has a glossy screen that you might prefer

Collapse -
Archos 605 vs Creative Zen Vision W

In reply to: go to the c|net review

I don't know which one to buy for this Christmas, my choice will be Archos 605 160gb or Creative Zen Vision W 60gb. Please give me more info about Archos 605 battery. Battery life? How to replace battery for a spare, is there a tool to change it, would I be able to do it myself? Do I need to get extra warranty for this device Archos 605 and Creative Zen Vision W? Is there a portable power adapter for this device that I'll be able to connect it directly to AC outlet for charging. I'll appreciate any info regarding this player.

Collapse -
Archos 605 vs Creative Zen Vision W built-in speaker

From some review they said that Creative Zen Vision W built-in speaker is better than Archos 605 built-in speaker. But maybe they're the same with headphone. I went to Circuit City and they have the demo for Creative Zen Vision W and Archos 605, the built-in speaker is really better for Creative Zen Vision W.

Collapse -
battery

the 605wifi and Vision W are pretty similar, the 605 is rated better but the W scored better on c|net's drain test. this depends so much on operation that it's too close to call. The 605 doesn't have a replaceable battery, if you want something similar with a replaceable battery, definitely look at the 604Wifi, it's a good value after the price drop. Neither the 604s or Vision W require a tool to swap the battery.
The units where are work are out of power but I'm pretty sure you're correct, the W has the better built in speaker and with headphones they will be similar, but that said, the Vision comes with decent headphones, the 604 not so much

Collapse -
Archos battery life

In reply to: Archos Battery

I find the battery time in my Archos 605 to be very poor just using the MP3. I don't think I get more then 3 hours out it ever and I rarely play videos

Collapse -
Archos 605 80gb Extended battery

In reply to: Archos battery life

I was reading about ppl complaining about the battery life on 605 series. I recently bought extended battery 5200mah and let me tell you it worth every penny. The original battery was something around 2000mah so this extended one is just a bit thicker but it came with free cover so i cant complain. I paid 36$ from megacapacity .com

http://www.megacapacity.com/23554.html

Collapse -
did u get it?

In reply to: i think is there is a problem....

Im planning to get it. But im not sure about the plug-in for web browser and the cinema now. i can download directly from the Archos,right! but do i have to pay an additional fee beside the 30 dollars? i read one of the site, it says that "additional fee may apply" so im not sure about that.....

As for cinema now what is that?

Collapse -
CinemaNow

In reply to: did u get it?

CinemaNow is the online movie service. Additional fees could mean taxes, but it depends on where you live because tax typically only applies if you live in a state where Archos has a physical office.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.