Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos 204 sync problems with WMP 11

by smallclone / February 18, 2008 7:22 AM PST

Hi, I've tried to search for answers to this but to no avail.

I'm using Win Media Player 11, and an Archos 204 MP3 Player. Its got a 20GB capability and I am only syncing 9GB of music.

Everytime I sync the device it adds duplicate files to the player and some of the play lists are incomplete.

Tried over and over to find out what I am doing wrong but if I sync again, it produces hundreds of duplicates that I have to manually erase. so frustrating.

Please help!!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 204 sync problems with WMP 11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 204 sync problems with WMP 11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
alternative solution
by inflammable / February 18, 2008 10:34 AM PST

I know this is not the answer that you are looking for but...

As an owner of 4 archos player I have always preferred Drag n' Drop system of loading music to the device rather than sync with WMP...

first because I have experimented syncing to be more time consuming... and buggy
second. I am very strict with my files and their order, ID3 tag and I have them all under neat folders....

anyway my point for you is to try drag and drop... try to make folder for your fav artist knowing that there will be most of the songs.. and if you have time for fixing ID3 tag do so... (you need it for syncing also)

And everytime you get new songs, manually drop it to the player...

I think this way Im in charge... not wmp.

Collapse -
Thanks
by smallclone / February 18, 2008 5:09 PM PST
In reply to: alternative solution

Yeah I think I am going to have to do that unfortunately.

Its a shame because its worked perfectly so far, and I often have a mass addition to my music collection at once..........5 / 6 cd's or 20 downloaded mp3's etc.

So its far harder to keep track of the one's I've added....i.e. - I have to sit there and manually add them instead of pressing the sync button and leaving the pc for a half hour.

Nevermind. Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
No playslist editing
by smallclone / February 18, 2008 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: alternative solution

Also, the thing with drag and drop is that I can't edit my playlists in Windows. They are .pla format or something.

This is incredibly frustrating, as they are the most important function on my device.

I think I might just format the entire music library on the device and start again.

Collapse -
"some of the play lists are incomplete."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 11:36 PM PST

Just sharing. I ran into this on a client's PC. It turned out they were a Limewire user so some of their tracks were oddly encoded. I wouldn't have figured this out on my own since I don't use Limewire and didn't have such tracks to dissect.

Once we removed the crappy tracks from Limewire it worked fine (until they added those back in!)

Bob

Collapse -
That could be it!!
by smallclone / February 18, 2008 11:45 PM PST

I have used limewire in the past, so that could be it. I have about 150 tracks dowloaded from limewire.

But I'm sure it is adding wma files ripped from my cd's too.

Do you have to remove all the limewire tracks? or can they be renamed at all?

thanks

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: That could be it!!

It's not my machine, I don't use that so I can't tell much more than we ditched the problem tracks...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!