Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AppSvc32.exe slowing down my computer.

My computer has just slowed to a crawl. I looked in Task Manager and noticed that this file was using 76000K of memory. I gather it is a Symantec file but can't find the Symantec Shared Prog folder. What exactly does this do that requires so much memory? And why can't I find it? I notice that it is now using just 5000K of memory and the computer is back to normal. I have Windows XP and NAV 2007. Any help please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AppSvc32.exe slowing down my computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AppSvc32.exe slowing down my computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AppSvc32.exe slowing down my computer.

In reply to: AppSvc32.exe slowing down my computer.

Open Norton Protection Center
Click on Norton AntiVirus tab at top
Expand "Settings" and scroll down to bottom for Additional Options -> Virus and Spyware Protection Options
On the left-hand side of the screen that pops up, click on General Settings under Manual Scanning
Uncheck the second item, which should be "Scan active programs and start-up files"
Again, on the left-hand side, click on General Settings under LiveUpdate
Uncheck the second box there, too. It should be "Run quick scan whenever protection updates have been received"

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread641213.html

You are NOT the only one!
Collapse -
(NT) Many thanks, I have done that, Judesman.

Collapse -
Norton's Internet Security 2011 slowing down my computer

I tried what you said, but I have Windows 7 64 bit and the above named Norton's program. I couldn't find the same settings and am not extremely computer literate. Can you tell me how to change the settings on Norton's IS 2011?

Collapse -
This thread is 3 1/2 years old

In reply to: Norton's Internet Security 2011 slowing down my computer

which is why the advice does not work. I will lock this thread and you can start your own thread but please give more information,

Collapse -
Slow PC Fix

I highle recomend installing and runing "System Mechanic 7". I've used it for almost a year now and have found it does wonders> You can check out a free evaluation from "www.iolo.com". go for it u wont regret it. Peace to ALL. Tim>

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you I will have a look. Judesman

In reply to: Slow PC Fix

Collapse -
For Appsvc32.exe

Collapse -
AppSvc32.exe

I have been at this now for a couple of days(on and off)Iv been to the forums,chat boards and tried all the links but to no avail,
However I did find one darn good way of stopping this programe from
slowing (almost to a stop)down my pc, disable the virus protetion and hay presstow all is good in my world, it seems that if you run another anti virus program it dont like it.
When my subsciption runs out I wont be renewing it with norton

Collapse -
Be Aware That To Fully Remove

In reply to: AppSvc32.exe

Collapse -
Solution to AppSvc32.exe issue

Hi Judesman,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

First, I wanted to let you know that Symantec has created a tool to resolve the issue with the "AppSvc32.exe" process consuming system resources. Using Internet Explorer, click on the link below and run the tool.

Fix issue with the AppSvc32.exe process and Norton AntiVirus 2007

I also wanted to let you know that this particular issue only affected NAV 07, and as long as you still have a valid subscription to Norton AntiVirus, you are entitled to a free update to Norton AntiVirus 2009, which I highly recommend. The new version of Norton AntiVirus contains many new and enhanced features and consumes very few system resources.

To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below. Please NOTE, while this process will update you to the 2009 version of Norton AntiVirus, it will not extend your subscription.

Norton Update Center

Once the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus 2009 and manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you get the latest program and definition files applied. This process will also invoke the new "Pulse Updates" feature which will check for and install new definition files in the background every 5-15 minutes.

When the updates have been installed, restart your computer and then open Norton AntiVirus and complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
Solution to AppSvc32.exe issue

In reply to: Solution to AppSvc32.exe issue

Your description is wrong. The AppSvc32.exe issue is also present in Norton Internet Security 2007. After installation of NIS, AppSvc32 begins to download a larger than 70MB file until the system crashes. This may eventually erase the BIOS or write into the Graphics controller and damage the High Voltage Inverter for the CCFT LCD backlight. I hope, that - under these circumstances - a NIS 2009 upgrade will be available.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.