TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Appraisal Help!?!?!? ? I need NM_Bill and jostenmeat! =)

If you may remember, I was interested in building a stereo; NM_Bill and jostenmeat provided me with fantastic help. I really appreciate everything that you wrote. I ultimately didn?t get to actually buy a system because my dorm room was a lot smaller than I expected it to be. Furniture took up a lot of space and I totally forgot to think about that when I was discussing all of this with the two of you. But I?m back and I?m here with a new dilemma that I am in.

As I write this, I am in my professor?s home for the week. My professor, a 58 year old widow, is away in England for the week on vacation. She asked if I would dog sit for her and wholeheartedly agreed. She is a wonderful person, who has very little interest in material things aside from her dog, who reminds her of her husband. She?s been very nice to me, my entire class, and to everyone that she meets. Her students are like the children that she never had a chance to have. So ? here the situation that I am in.

Before she left, I had a chance to hang out with her for dinner and I learned a lot more about her husband, Mark. He passed away a couple of years ago, and while I did not me him, I have learned a lot of great things about him; one such case was his devotion to home audio. He was an audiophile, and I learned this about him after mentioning my own interests in high end audio to Sydel (my professor). Since I?ve been at the house, I?ve learned first hand how big of an audiophile he was. The entire downstairs is fully insulated with a heavy door that makes the room virtually soundproof. He has two sets of components, one that hooks up to a stereo system and one that hooks up to a stax headphone system. I overheard her neighbor talking about them readying a yard sale eventually to get rid of Mark?s stuff. Knowing my professor well, I know she would be more than willing to sell the equipment to me, and I imagine, at a very low price. I haven?t asked her yet, but I wanted to ask for an appraisal of the equipment and how much would be a fare number. I wish I had a chance to meet her husband, I imagine he and I would have gotten along very well. Unfortunately I never got to meet him, but ? I would be honored to keep and maintain his equipment, and if anything, keeping his spirit alive.

So ? I got a chance to write down what?s downstairs. There are a few things that I don?t know, let alone their value today. I have taken pictures and I?m willing to send them if necessary.

System 1:

Paradigm Reference Towers (I don?t know the model of these two speakers but I took a picture) It looks to me that there are 4 drivers, but I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Sunfire Invariant Stereo Power Amp ? The owner?s manual is included and has the company?s founder?s signature on a page.

Creek OBH-10 Remote Pre-Amp

Van Alstine Pre-Amp

Music Hall mmf-cd25

System 2:

Panamax Max 4300

Rotel RCD-971 HDCD

Stax SRD-7/SB

PrimaLuna Prologue One Tube Pre-Amp

System 3 - (Another Stax earphone with converter, allowing you to attach it to a portable CD player)

Stax SRD-X ? SR Gamma Earphones

I?m thinking about offering her $5,000 for everything. She doesn?t need the money, but at the same time I don?t want to rip her off. On the other hand, I also don?t want to have these beautiful items get sold at a yard sale. I can imagine myself having these products for a long time to come.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any questions, don?t hesitate to contact me ? I?ll try to be on pretty often.

Andre R.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Appraisal Help!?!?!? ? I need NM_Bill and jostenmeat! =)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Appraisal Help!?!?!? ? I need NM_Bill and jostenmeat! =)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yowzers

In reply to: Appraisal Help!?!?!? ? I need NM_Bill and jostenmeat! =)

Those are some fine name brands. Its just... with time... audio products really lose a lot of value. $5k is a lot, and that can get you a very fine system. If I had $5k, Id spend 3k speakers, 1k integrated, 1k on sources+ acoustical treatments. roughly.

Do you need ALL of that stuff???? in a small dorm room? do not buy if you do not intend to use. OK...

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/bb.pl

there are other services, but the gon would be the only one that I suspect would have sold even half of those things listed.

sorry i am not of more help.

Collapse -
RE: Yowzers

In reply to: yowzers

I guess I should clarify some things.

I don't expect to pay for all of it right away. One of the reasons why I'm considering buying it from my prof is that she is prob going to be pretty lenient on the payment plan. I also don't intend to buy it this upcoming year. It's my senior year at college and I hope to take stuff with me once I have my own apartment. I imagine $5K might be too much and even she may say it. But, I greatly appreciate all of the added accessories that I would hate to buy. It's nice to know that everything is there, cables, conditioners, power surge, etc.

I don't need all of the equipment - for instance, I do have my own pair of Sennheiser HD 650s that I listen to on a portable headphone amp. I imagine it would be nice to have an upscale amp to power up the Sennheiser, and like you yourself say, that equipment would possibly only sell on audiogon(she is not computer savvy). I don't always listen to music out loud, so it would come in handy when I want to listen to music on my earphones.

Collapse -
Good for Stereo, Not 5.1

In reply to: Appraisal Help!?!?!? ? I need NM_Bill and jostenmeat! =)

If all you want to do is listen to stereo music, then I think that equipment is fine. However, if you ever want to have a DVD player with 5.1 surround, I don't think it's much good for that except for the speakers, but ideally for 5.1 you'd have a matched set of speaker (although I don't have a perfect set of matched speakers without negatives). But, there are people who want very nice stereo components, and that stuff qualifies.

Collapse -
RE Good for Stereo, Not 5.1

In reply to: Good for Stereo, Not 5.1

Most definitely Dan. I'm not looking to get a home theatre system built. I will solely use it for music. No offense to movies, I'd much rather spend my time listening to music while reading, browsing the net, or doing something else I find more important. A 5.1 system would certainly be underused.

Collapse -
Other ways

In reply to: RE Good for Stereo, Not 5.1

To achieve what you want. How long has she been alone?

Collapse -
RE: Other Ways

In reply to: Other ways

Haha. That's a good suggestion but I'm not that kinda guy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.