Computer Help forum

General discussion

appmagr.dll infected with TROJ_FAKEVIR.F virus

by Hydrilus / May 16, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting rid of this virus! The file that is infected is the "appmgr.dll" file which can be found in my system32 folder. From what I've found on the Trend-micro PC-cillin website, it has info on a TROJ_FAKEVIR.D virus...mine is .F... Anyway, the .D one infects .dll files as well and the solution that the website lists is to simply go into safe mode and delete the file. Well I already tried that and figured it wouldn't work since the appmgr.dll file is a critical file for whatever computer processing... My virus programs are unable to "clean" the file so I'm wondering what to do...
The virus is actually fairly's not causing any problems as far as I can tell like spamming popups or slowing down my computer...however occasionally it does display a small popup at the bottom of my screen saying that my computer is infected and I need to go download a program that can clean it...etc... Please help though! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: appmagr.dll infected with TROJ_FAKEVIR.F virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: appmagr.dll infected with TROJ_FAKEVIR.F virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deleting files
by Stan Chambers / May 16, 2006 2:56 PM PDT

You can safely delete the infected file. Then run SFC /Scannow with your Windows cd in the cd drive. This will replace any missing files in windows.

Collapse -
by Hydrilus / May 16, 2006 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Deleting files

It won't let me delete the me that "make sure the file is not in use" message...

Collapse -
Maybe try different programs...
by tomron / May 16, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

Click HERE

You said "My virus programs".with ones.

Try a trojan program ,click EWIDO which is only for XP or did not mention what your OS is

If you have another version you can try trojan hunter,which is for XP,2K,98,95,....

Collapse -
From Computer Associates Encylopedia
by DarCLew2 / May 16, 2006 4:57 PM PDT

This is a fake virus. Moves mouse randomly, beeps speaker randomly.
It is spyware, malware and not a virus
destructive program [F-Prot], Trj/Fakev [Panda], Trojan.Win32.Fakev [Kaspersky], Win32.Fakev [Computer Associates], Win32/Fakev!Trojan [Computer Associates], Xela [McAfee],

DoS : A program that denies an authorized user the use of a service or a system

Trojan: Any program with a hidden intent. Trojans are one of the leading causes of breaking into machines. If you pull down a program from a chat room, new group, or even from unsolicited e-mail, then the program is likely trojaned with some subversive purpose. The word Trojan can be used as a verb: To trojan a program is to add subversive functionality to an existing program. For example, a trojaned login program might be programmed to accept a certain password for any user's account that the hacker can use to log back into the system at any time. Rootkits often contain a suite of such trojaned programs.
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Did you
by PKsteven / May 16, 2006 5:51 PM PDT

disable system restore and set it to 0%? Find whatever program came with it, if it is running under this program, it will not allow you to delete it. It may be in something you downloaded, an anti spyware program that is bogus, or something else. Once you do that THEN boot in safe mode and delete the file.

Collapse -
Re: appmagr.dll infected with TROJ_FAKEVIR.F virus
by prpfeif / May 17, 2006 12:33 PM PDT

You have Spyfalcon on your puter. Spyfalcon will ' display a small popup at the bottom of your screen saying that your computer is infected and you need to download a program that can clean it' as you said.

See post on bottom dated May 11th:
'Updated the guide due to new trojan infector: C:\Windows\System32\appmagr.dll

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?