Question

Applications stop when I go online

I have two computers with the same problem. One is running Vista and the other (this computer) is Win7. My problem has been going on for a few days and I am not getting anywhere. I have done a number of things to try and fix it.

When my computer is online and I open any program, i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Reader, Norton, Windows search, etc or if I try to run a program from the internet my computer stops, locks up the application I attempted to open. Then a box appears that says "application name has stopped working".

If I am off-line the programs open and run fine.

Internet Explorer runs fine.

I have run...
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
SuperAntispyware Professional
Norton full scan
I have gone to the "admin command prompt" and ran, can't remember the name c??/???????? - it showed no problem

Do you have an idea. It seems obvious (I could be wrong), that it has something to do with my computer checking online when it opens an application.

Any help we be greatly appreciated.

Computer Info
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7862 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -292 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 464545 MB, Free - 183527 MB; E: Total - 1430795 MB, Free - 1105365 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway, NV79
Antivirus: CloudCare, Disabled, (didn't pick up "Norton 360")

Rich

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Applications stop when I go online
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Applications stop when I go online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
How would you do a Norton full scan without Norton?

Cloudcare does some very odd non-antivirus things. Think back to when this worked. What's different?

- Collapse -
Norton and Cloudcare

I can do the Norton scan if I am off line, all ran fine.

Cloudcare has never really cause a problem, but that is always a possibility. I could try unloading it and then see what happens. Not sure if I can unload without it going online, I'll have to try.

Can't think of anything else that has changed. I do run Advanced System Care on my computers to "tune them up". It does do some things automatically, so this I guess is a possibility. I did go back a couple weeks and restored the changes made by Advanced System Care but there was not change.

Whatever it is, it is on both of our computers. One is Vista and the other Win 7 so I whatever it is, it's not particular to operating systems.

Thanks

- Collapse -
There's your clues.

I can't comment what it is but those tune up apps do tend to break more than they fix. HOWEVER the big clue is you do the same thing on both machines so something in the procedure and apps breaks this.

Some owners are loathe to stop using what does not work.
Bob

CNET Forums