Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

application to produce news items along top of screen

by MRTIGRE1 / September 7, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

I am wondering if anybody can reccommend an application that will allow you to load in news and business web-addresses causing news strips from those web sites to show constant news shorts across the top of my screen from "RBB"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''? thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: application to produce news items along top of screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: application to produce news items along top of screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I use...
by John.Wilkinson / September 7, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

What you are looking for is an RSS reader, something that can aggregate headlines from various online sources and display them conveniently on your desktop, in your browser/e-mail program, etc.

Now, there are tons of individual RSS readers, but since I already have the free Konfabulator (now called Yahoo Widgets) installed, I just use it. It is a program that enables you to download thousands of free third-party widgets, mini applications that perform various functions such as displaying the local weather/radar, notifying you when you have mail, monitoring your computer's performance, or delivering you the latest news. The widget you'll be most interested in is called RSS Ticker Tape, which doesn an excellent job and is quite customizable.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
anything for win98 second edition?
by MRTIGRE1 / September 7, 2006 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: What I use...

John;
Thanks for the quick reply however I forgot to specify that I need an application that will run in win98 second edition. my oversite. is there anything you can suggest? thanks Don

Collapse -
Yes, actually...
by John.Wilkinson / September 7, 2006 6:47 AM PDT

While Konfabulator and its widgets are my first option, on older systems I use ENewsBar. It runs on Windows 98 on up, is just half a MB in size, and is completely free of charge. It has a list of pre-installed feeds, including MSN News and US Newswire, and can be configured to add your own. You can also adjust the speed, color, and size, as well as specify what category of news (health, world, US, technology, etc) of feeds you want.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!