General discussion

Application Not Found...

Hey everyone. Let's see if you can help me with this. I have been trying for hours, but to no success.

I recently got a trojan from the much hated Windows Anti Virus Pro from a pop Ad that was clicked accidentally. I followed all of the steps to delete it and I thought I had, but now, whenever I try to open a file from my desktop I either get an "Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want to use to open with.." message. I tried to go to the Start Menu to use regedit and all of that, but whatever this virus is has affected that too. When I try to use Start Menu Run, it says "Choose which file...". I don't know what to do? I can barely access any internet. Most files, I can find which file to use from a list of programs, like when I open Firefox, I just click Firefox, but for the windows applications, like Run, Control Menu, and Support Center I can't search for the program to use since I do not know which it is. Also, I have already tried System Restore and none of my Restore Points are functioning. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Application Not Found...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Application Not Found...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RIGHT click on The Link, Choose "Save Target As"...

..then direct the download to your desktop.. Run it from there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
I right clicked

on the link, then chose save link as. i saved it to my desktop. now how do i run it? sorry if this is obvious i am terrible at computer

- Collapse -
Re: running

Try double click. What happens?

If it doesn't work, tell exactly what you downloaded: filename and filetype.

Kees

- Collapse -
great advise frank

thanks - this worked like a charm - spent a couple of hours trying to fix and found your solution and in a minute i was up and running - THANKS!

- Collapse -
2011 -your fix is not available anymore?

I have the same problem...been at it for hours...I can't downoad the EXE (Ink and REg file) the link is broken...where have they moved to?

Isa

- Collapse -
It Works Fine Here

Try it this way:

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column). RIGHT click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose "Save Target As " or "Save Link As", to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Or?

Click on the link below, then look to the "EXE File Association Fix", and download the .zip file to your computer desktop.. ONce there, unzip the file, then double click on the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file that is inside, choose "OK/Yes, when it asks "Are you sure?".. Restart the computer.. It should now run those problem programs and Control Panel icons.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Or if neither of these items works, then your computer may still be infected.. Therefore, try the steps below to clean out the machine before attempting the links above:

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.Once
downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to
the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file
to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and
the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the
problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the
update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Manual Update
rhttp://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also
necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it..
It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Seems all fixed! :o)

Wow it worked! I dowloaded from my laptop, clean and pure onto a removable disk then copied it onto the infected puter...restarted and it worked, all the applications found again! I already had Malware byte so Iam running it now that it is functional again and my antivirus is running again as well.
Thank you so much. I am not a computer wiz so this was going well beyond what I ever tried before...ahah seemed so simple with wise advice.

- Collapse -
please help!!

Im having the same exact issue but on windows vista. please help. and btw, does anyone know how this could happen, considering i have all the anti-spy and anti-virus..etc, etc?

thanks.

- Collapse -
How? That's easy.

These are personal computers. If you tell it to delete or change a file, setting it will do that. All that protection software only can protect is from KNOWN pests or suspicious actions.

Unless we move to locked down machines or better OS designs, your expectations of those software will likely be undone time and time again.
Bob

- Collapse -
:(

Thanks, Bob. I totally understand that..i just wish that it protected my computer better, i guess. I hope someone can give me a solution for this issue concerning windows vista. I found tons of solutions for xp, none for vista Sad

- Collapse -
on vista

please, please, please help. i need the same help for windows vista. im losing my mind. please help.

- Collapse -
And You Tried This Yet?
- Collapse -
What if I'm using Windows Vista...

Hi, I know this post was from 2009, but I am having a similar problem, and I was hoping you had a solution for this for Vista...?

i.e. I recently got a virus from a pop Ad that was clicked accidentally. I followed all of the steps to delete it and I thought I had, but now, whenever I try to open a file from my desktop I either get an "Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want to use to open with.." message.

Please help!

- Collapse -
For Windows Vista...
- Collapse -
no file :[

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

- Collapse -
404 Error
- Collapse -
fixing exe file

Its fabulous! I don't know anything about computers and it worked! I've been trying for 2 weeks because I don't have the money to pay someone? Thank you Love I'm in awe of people taking their time to help people in these forums. Live in Joy.

- Collapse -
please need some help

Hi Tufenuf;

I have Windows XP and and did evrything upto th epoint when I opened my register editor and clicked file import and then I was very dubiuos as to where am I supposed to locate and find the reg file fix you mentioned????
Where is it located is it in my computer, documents or where?
I have the problem as all of these people and cannot open any applications except my internet. I also searched for the file under search but it the comp did not recognise it. Is this the name reg file fix or???
Please tell me where I should look for it.
Thanks,
tress

- Collapse -
Re: fix

1. Go to that page http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
2. Download the exe file fix.
3. It's a zipfile with one file in it. Get that file out into some folder. It's called xp_exe_fix.reg
4. Doubleclick that file (that you extracted from the zip file) in My Computer or Windows Explorer
5. Say "yes" when you're asked if you want to put it in your registry.
6. Done.

Kees

- Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!

OH, thanks so much, I referred to these instructions in another post and did it and it WORKED!!! Truly amazing, I really appreciate it and thank you so much for your prompt answer:))

Tress

- Collapse -
application nor found

Thank You!!!
I tried everything and nothing worked except this solution, thank you again for your great work.

- Collapse -
Worked perfectly!!! Thanks!

I had the XP internet security 2012 rogue malware...did a system restore and everything was fine and the malware gone except for what it did to my registry with not being able to open up programs without having to got to the actual .exe file in the folders. Thanks so much!

- Collapse -
Re: Application Not Found...

Extremely useful - to the point instructions - worked like a charm - Many Thanks.

- Collapse -
Re: Application Not Found...

It fully worked... i was thinking that my lap-top was destined for the bin!! Thanks ever so much...

- Collapse -
Thanks

I had the exact same virus and problem. Thanks for the solution so much- it worked for me.

- Collapse -
thanks!

I tried everything!
THANKS sooo much!!

- Collapse -
Nice..!!!

Thank you ....

- Collapse -
worked!!

it solved my issue. Thx

- Collapse -
Awesome !!

men ur the best ! Genious

- Collapse -
still not found...

Been having the same problem so i followed the steps, but when i come to import the reg file, an error message saying:

"Cannot import ...\exefix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

Any ideas?

CNET Forums