General discussion

Application Not Found...

Hey everyone. Let's see if you can help me with this. I have been trying for hours, but to no success.

I recently got a trojan from the much hated Windows Anti Virus Pro from a pop Ad that was clicked accidentally. I followed all of the steps to delete it and I thought I had, but now, whenever I try to open a file from my desktop I either get an "Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want to use to open with.." message. I tried to go to the Start Menu to use regedit and all of that, but whatever this virus is has affected that too. When I try to use Start Menu Run, it says "Choose which file...". I don't know what to do? I can barely access any internet. Most files, I can find which file to use from a list of programs, like when I open Firefox, I just click Firefox, but for the windows applications, like Run, Control Menu, and Support Center I can't search for the program to use since I do not know which it is. Also, I have already tried System Restore and none of my Restore Points are functioning. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Application Not Found...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Application Not Found...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
windows xp for error msg "application not found".

I just used the advise to fix my windows xp for error msg "application not found". It was the quickest fix I have ever seen.
THANK YOU!!!Betty Castillo

- Collapse -
It worked!

@Tufenuf, I had to create an account just to say thank you so much. I had a nasty XP Anti Malware infection on my computer and I finally got rid of it and then I had the same problem that Jrank had until I found your post. Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!!

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad it worked anf glad to help.
- Collapse -
Application Not Found

Thanks Tufenuf. Great easy to follow instructions. Successfully sorted.

- Collapse -
help

I tried fallowing your steps but when i got to the part where i am supposed to locate the reg file fix i could not find it. what should i do?

- Collapse -
Re: help

candace2716, Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

If you saved that reg file to your desktop then in the "Look in:" narrow window you would use the drop down arrow button and choose Desktop then down in the large window below that locate that reg file and hilite it so that it shows in "File name" narrow window then click the Open button. You would follow these same instructions if you saved the reg file somewhere else for example My Documents, etc.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
"Open With" Dialog

So I have a nasty virus and could really use some help to resolve...

When I try to open any applications, I get an "Open With" dialog asking me to choose a program to open the file. When I attempt to get to the internt and click the Internet program under "Open With", a "User" window opens. Inputting an internet address such as www.google.com in the "Address" field is the only way I can access the internet at this point. When I try to access Adaware or Spybot sites to run system scans, I continue to receive the "Open With" dialog.

Thanks to your instructions, I was finally able to get to a point where I could successfully complete a system restore. Unfortunately, the restore was a day or two short of a stable system. Any other suggestions or options? I'm running Windows XP Home. Windows v5.1 Service Pack 3.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

- Collapse -
You saved my computer

I had same issue as OP and was starting to really get worried. Did the Reg fix and I am back and working now 100%. Thank you very much.

- Collapse -
Similar problem

I have just about the same exact problem, but when i went to the page you posted, it told me to save RegEdits, but when i save it, it only saves as a text, and i dont know how to run it, do you think you can help me? I'm not sure what regedits is nor if i have it.

- Collapse -
Re: Similar problem

Atticusl3, Use Internet Explorer and go back to that site and right click and choose Save target as "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" and save it to your desktop. The file name will be exefix.reg

Now right click on the exefix.reg file and choose "Merge". After the merge is completed restart your computer.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
same problem, says page unavailable

I have the same problem as many others. I scanned for viruses and it says I'm clean. Have tried to go to this link and when click on line 12 it says the page is unavailable. I have gone to the dougscorner fix as well but i cannot unzip files. I am going crazy trying to fix this problem. Any suggestions on what to do if the link is now unavailable and your computer will not unzip files?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

- Collapse -
Problem solved!!!!

After many unsuccesful attempts to open the link that is posted here I found a solution to my problem.....in regedit I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and reset the defaults on my exefile to "%1" %*
I then scrolled back up to .exe under the same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and reset the default to exefile.
I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me and I am extremely happy to have my computer back up and running properly!
Good Luck to everyone out there who has had to deal with this issue!!!

- Collapse -
Application not found

Thank you. Once again I've used your link for Application not found. Having problems with scary virus messages, this time XP DEfender, last time Windows Security. Tells me my Firewall is switched off, which, of course, I did not do. My McAfee does not detect these supposed problems, although it deal with a trojan but XP Defender just kept popping up messages till I switched off computer and disconnected internet. Once re started messages had stopped but I was left with Application not found. Any tips to deal with this? Thanks

- Collapse -
Thank you so much!

Your file for download and exact directions worked like a charm Thanks you very much on behalf of all hapless XP users. I really appreciate the help, and your saving me the trouble of having someone repair this for me. Have a great day and thanks again Happy

- Collapse -
Worked Great !!

Thanks Tufenuf.. Had the same problem with the Application not Found messages and prompts to select the problem to use to open the file.

Downloaded and ran the utility. Only took a couple of minutes and now I can launch all my applications.

- Collapse -
Windows VIsta with "Application Not Found"

I am having the same problem. I tried to click the link and it said page not found. Then I tried the ctrl + alt + delete and went to file and clicked ctrl new program on got the command prompt window and typed REGEDIT.exe and I get the "open with" window and I have to chose a program. Same thing that happens when I try to open any program from Skype to Microsoft Word.Help! I am fully up to date on virus protection but I think I had one before. Now my computer says I am fully protected after an extensive scan, but am still having this issue.

- Collapse -
Re: Windows VIsta with "Application Not Found"
- Collapse -
Feel like an idiot...

Windows XP - same issue as the original 2009 post...got to the import Registry File page...but cannot find the reg file fix to highlight...any pointers?

Thank you for any help!!

- Collapse -
Feel even more like an idiot...

Sorry guys - this little brain finally figured it out. I think my several month long quest to fix this problem has been fixed Grin
Sincerely: THANK YOU!!

- Collapse -
Same Windows Vista "Application Not Found" Problem

Hello I noticed this thread is a few months old but I am hoping you will be able to help me. I caught a virus and now every time I click on Itunes, Firefox, Avg, and any other program I get the "Open With..." box and it gives me Internet Explorer as my only choice. When I click on Internet Explorer it opens for a moment then closes.

I went to the website you listed above but I'm a little confused by the directions. I downloaded the .exe file and the .reg file but they both saved as a file only to be opened with Itunes?

Anyway I'm so confused and really do not know what to do here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

- Collapse -
Persevere.

Did you see the instructions in that web page? I copied them below;
======================

Usage instructions
To fix the association for a particular file type, download the corresponding fix from the above links table (Use Right-click - Save as option in your browser to download the fixes). Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.
========================

You need to understand what to do, so follow those instructions carefully.

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) You'll Also Want To Download the LNK Fix
- Collapse -
uugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i tried to open it..but i cant. attempt to download it but it does not open it............dear lord!!!

- Collapse -
Then You'll Need To Download On A Separate Computer

Once it's downloaded to the desktop of the separate computer, then UNzip the file and you should see a file which has a .reg file extension.. Then copy the .reg file to a flash drive or CD, then transfer it to the problem machine.. Once it's there, RIGHT click on the file, choose "Merge" from the menu.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
I'll try that.

Thank you for answering. For some reason you replying calms my nerves..I will definitely have to try that. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
And One More Possibility...

Because malware will frequently cause this particular problem, and if you haven't cleaned up the computer, please follow the steps below to clean out the junk:

If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine and use them while in Safe Mode.

After transferring it to the problem machine, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet, then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings again.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
wow

Thanks for all the detailed information. I'll certainly get to it.

- Collapse -
Application not found

Tufenuf,
What do you do if yo get the "application not found" message with an address above it when trying to open a link on a website?

cheers bud

- Collapse -
Not a registry file?

when i click on the regedit file, it says it can't import because it's not a registry script. and that i can only import binary files from within the registry editor. ?? help Sad

- Collapse -
question about downloading the the reg file fix

When I go to the link and click on the "EXE(Ink and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", it just opens up another tab or page with a bunch of writing like:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

And so on. I'm not downloading anything when it happens and I can't click on anything on the page. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

CNET Forums