Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

application has generated an exception....on startup

by nhow / April 6, 2004 3:42 AM PDT

This error message has recently started appearing:

application has generated an exception that could not be handled process id=0x44(3908), thread id=0x83c(2108)

I can close it and continue using computer, but it reappears every time I start up.

I have a pentium 4, 256 ram, xp home edition.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: application has generated an exception....on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: application has generated an exception....on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you pin this down to an ''Event''?
by Cursorcowboy / April 6, 2004 11:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Can you pin this down to an ''Event''?
by nhow / April 7, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

application popup event 26

the process id and thread id change each time.

Collapse -
NT - Did you read the references?
by Cursorcowboy / April 8, 2004 2:38 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:NT - Did you read the references?
by nhow / April 8, 2004 4:46 AM PDT

Not sure what you mean.

Collapse -
Re:Re:NT - Did you read the references?
by Cursorcowboy / April 8, 2004 11:07 PM PDT

I just meant that did you read the information provided at the hyperlinked word which I gave you in my original message -- the word must be clicked to open a page for reading.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:NT - Did you read the references?
by nhow / April 12, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

I reread it and realised I had not tried your Pstat.exe suggestion. Will do that this evening and see if I can figure it out.

to be continued....

thanks for the continued hand-holding!!!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:NT - Did you read the references?
by nhow / April 12, 2004 10:10 AM PDT

I checked. Pstat.exe is not in residence on my computer.

Collapse -
Re:further analysis of error
by nhow / April 8, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

I sent the error into help & support and got this in reply. I still have no idea what it's referring to. I haven't tried to install anything lately, so don't know what driver they mean.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

Collapse -
Not much written on this subject. . .
by Cursorcowboy / April 8, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

but here is a couple of links for your to read:

VIA Arena Forums."

"Intel."

Sorry I couldn't help pinpoint the anomaly but it appears you're going to have some serious research to do.

Collapse -
Re:Not much written on this subject. . .
by nhow / April 9, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

Many thanks for trying. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nancy

Collapse -
Digest this information
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

At http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20885079.html is a pretty wide swath of information to look over.

Here's what I suspect. Your hardware might be some custom collection of parts. It may have an out of date BIOS or some overtaxed PSU or just a BUM INSTALL of Windows XP which used what CDs and Drivers that were found in the box. That may be easy to correct with latest BIOS, a monster PSU, and fetching latest motherboard and other drivers.

Wishing you the best of luck finding it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Digest this information
by nhow / April 12, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm afraid that's not it, though, as XP and everything else came installed and bundled with new Dell I bought 6 months ago. Never had this strange anomaly until a week or so ago. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of spyware that tried to install incompletely. However, I regularly sweep my system with Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D and nothing has shown up. Also have Norton Utilities which checks and cleans my system routinely...nothing there.

Very peculiar.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?